{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dreamin' Wild
Music 
I thought a lot of you would dig this.  They are making a movie on these guys.

Great album

An upcoming film shot and set in Spokane recently wrapped filming, one of a scant few projects to actually bring a big Hollywood production to our humble yet beautiful neck of the woods in Washington.

The film is Dreamin' Wild, sharing the name of the record that local brothers Donnie and Joe Emerson made together more than 40 years ago when they were teenagers. Unsung artists of their time, the album wouldn't gain critical acclaim until the early 2010s, when a low-key 2012 reissue garnered it new praise among music geeks everywhere.

In an interview, Joe reflected on his story turning into a movie, which was "quite an experience" that even included him playing a small role.

"Filming went good on my end," Joe says. "They had me in a couple cameos."

The film was written and directed by Bill Pohlad, who most recently made the outstanding 2014 film Love & Mercy about Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

In Pohlad's Dreamin' Wild, Donnie Emerson is played by Oscar-winning actor Casey Affleck, and Joe is portrayed by Walton Goggins, known best for his roles in the television series Justified and Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight. Zooey Deschanel plays Donnie's wife, Nancy, and Beau Bridges is Emerson patriarch Don Sr.

Joe had the chance to meet Goggins and even played the actor a drum solo in their time together.

"He's really gracious," Joe says. "He's very personal, very intense. We hit it off really good. We didn't have a lot of time to spend together, but maybe a day and a half."

The teenage version of Donnie is played by Noah Jupe from the recent A Quiet Place films. The younger version of Joe is being played by Jack Dylan Grazer, memorable for his wisecracking role as Eddie in the recent It films.

Joe had the chance to meet both of the younger counterparts.

"I gave them some driving instructions on the tractor," Joe recalls, laughing. "They were good."

The film is based on a 2016 article by Steven Kurutz published in True Story that went long on how the brothers became overnight musical sensations decades after they first made the album.

The Emersons' winding road to success seems like a natural for the silver screen. The brothers recorded their first and only album at their homemade family studio in Fruitland, near Lake Roosevelt. They released Dreamin' Wild in 1979, though it didn't find an audience and all the copies soon began collecting dust.

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/local-h...d=22908129
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}