OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lots of Jobs NO Jobs!
Lots of Jobs NO Jobs, at the same time.

Seems unemployment is high AS "Help Wanted Ads" (that we've always had lots of) multiply something fierce!

I dunno about your area, but around here, darn near EVERY Where I go I see huge Signs BEGGING FOR HELP

I guess it's the pay difference?? (higher wage jobs lost and low ones needing help?)
BUT most of the signs brag about a starting pay of $15 per hours
(including mine) in a time of minimum wage $7-9 per hour.

Quote:https://www.statista.com/statistics/2162...in-the-us/
Monthly real average hourly earnings for all employees in the U.S. 2019/20. In September 2020, the average hourly earnings of all employees in the United States was at 11.33 U.S. dollars.4 days ago

OTOH my "guess" is probably wrong, I get the feeling something else is going on and I DO NOT KNOW WHAT.
My wife say's it's probably just because we're covid crazy and/or just waiting for things to become perfectly normal again before bothering to get a job.

EITHER WAY, what is going to happen when they run out or money or welfare?
I mean, Government has been paying many of MY Tenants rent for last 6 months, but surely they're not gonna keep doing that for years and not do it for mortgages too? (like they're paying State of Illinois bills now)

OR WHAT???????
It's pretty funky up here, at least in tech jobs.

I knew that my job was ending, it was known at least a year in advance. I don't need to work any more for the income, but I am making applications for something of interest to me. It is the typical Canadian thing up here - very few tech jobs, and when I apply, I hear absolutely nothing.

My last job hunt was in 1998, I stopped counting at 250 applications and zero interviews up here. I applied to two US jobs, got two interviews, followed by two offers. I really don't know what it is with up here. Of course, I learned early on that you don't even bother applying to government jobs, almost all of their listings are filled from inside, but they are legally required to advertise to have the appearance of trying to hire the best person for the job. But everywhere else does not have that excuse.

So right now, I have applied to six locations in Canada. Of course, I have yet to hear anything back.

It's nice that this time I am in a position where I can just say "screw 'em", I don't need this crap.
(10-17-2020, 08:31 PM)brunt Wrote: It's pretty funky up here, at least in tech jobs.

I knew that my job was ending, it was known at least a year in advance. I don't need to work any more for the income, but I am making applications for something of interest to me. It is the typical Canadian thing up here - very few tech jobs, and when I apply, I hear absolutely nothing.

My last job hunt was in 1998, I stopped counting at 250 applications and zero interviews up here. I applied to two US jobs, got two interviews, followed by two offers. I really don't know what it is with up here. Of course, I learned early on that you don't even bother applying to government jobs, almost all of their listings are filled from inside, but they are legally required to advertise to have the appearance of trying to hire the best person for the job. But everywhere else does not have that excuse.

So right now, I have applied to six locations in Canada. Of course, I have yet to hear anything back.

It's nice that this time I am in a position where I can just say "screw 'em", I don't need this crap.

I would expect you to walk into a job here with your skills, however, the recruiters are a scab on the job seekers market here. I saw a ad for a data analyst yesterday. I'm pretty sure I know the client (I worked for them until 2 months ago and may go back after my current gig ends).  This role is offering $130/hour (AUD). That's fairly big money for the role. What was amusing was that the advertiser equated it with a government job ie APS6 (Australian Public Service level 6).  In all my dealings with public servants, they believe they are underpaid compared to the private sector. A senior public servant here in Victoria quit last week after admitting he lied to a judicial inquiry. Turns out he was on $660,000 a year.
(10-18-2020, 02:38 AM)wayniac Wrote: ..........................................
In all my dealings with public servants, they believe they are underpaid compared to the private sector.

YEP.  Same here. and I've talked and listened to MANY.

weird thing is, most of those salaries are public info if you know where to look for them.

and it's quite clear that Public "servants" make DRAMATICALLY MORE than their private counter parts who (who are forced to) pay them - and that doesn't even count benefits and retirement which is more lopsided.

an often cited (and over looked both) statistic is our State of Illinois,
their biggest budget drain isn't even Govt Salaries, it's the RETIRED "teachers and police".

I wonder some times how long us private income earners will put up with this
however, I've wondered this for a very long time as it gets worse and worse (or better, depending on your perspective)
(10-17-2020, 08:31 PM)brunt Wrote: It's pretty funky up here, at least in tech jobs.

It's like that in NZ too. When I first came here it was more than a little humiliating to get no responses until one recruitment guy tipped me off:

1. Most of the jobs advertised are already filled internally but they have to go through the protocol of advertising

2. Many of the rest don't actually exist - it's just recruitment agencies filling their databases

3. The best one was applying for a job and finding out 6 months later that my CV was appended to a contract tender as supporting evidence of having the necessary skills! The breaches all sorts of laws but I couldn't be bothered to go after them.

4. The parochial thing kicks in - in that the prospective employer doesn't believe my CV because it happened outside of here.

Bottom line, the market in small economies is thin. So one has to wait for 'your' job to come along and that could take ages, meanwhile do something else.
(10-17-2020, 07:23 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: Lots of Jobs NO Jobs, at the same time.

Seems unemployment is high AS "Help Wanted Ads" (that we've always had lots of) multiply something fierce!

I dunno about your area, but around here, darn near EVERY Where I go I see huge Signs BEGGING FOR HELP

I guess it's the pay difference?? (higher wage jobs lost and low ones needing help?)
BUT most of the signs brag about a starting pay of $15 per hours
(including mine) in a time of minimum wage $7-9 per hour.

Quote:https://www.statista.com/statistics/2162...in-the-us/
Monthly real average hourly earnings for all employees in the U.S. 2019/20. In September 2020, the average hourly earnings of all employees in the United States was at 11.33 U.S. dollars.4 days ago

OTOH my "guess" is probably wrong, I get the feeling something else is going on and I DO NOT KNOW WHAT.
My wife say's it's probably just because we're covid crazy and/or just waiting for things to become perfectly normal again before bothering to get a job.

EITHER WAY, what is going to happen when they run out or money or welfare?
I mean, Government has been paying many of MY Tenants rent for last 6 months, but surely they're not gonna keep doing that for years and not do it for mortgages too? (like they're paying State of Illinois bills now)

OR WHAT???????

Who is watching the kids during the day ?

Virtual learning/teaching is a thing now.

Somebody is staying home with the younger ones.  I would expect single parent households to be especially hard hit.

I know a number of elderly (and retired) folks who had part time jobs but have now exited the workforce because of Covid-19.

Full time people at (or near) retirement age have decided "screw it, I'm outta here", and they retire.

It all adds up.
(10-18-2020, 07:45 PM)aqua Wrote: Who is watching the kids during the day ?

Somebody is staying home with the younger ones.  I would expect single parent households to be especially hard hit.

I know a number of elderly (and retired) folks who had part time jobs but have now exited the workforce because of Covid-19.

Full time people at (or near) retirement age have decided "screw it, I'm outta here", and they retire.

It all adds up.

Great answer aqua!

I do hear these three things all the time
1. Have to stay home to take care of school age kids
2. I'm scared to go to work and catch covid
3. fkit all, I'm just retiring

of course, ALL Three of those mean that THAT Person does NOT Qualify as "unemployed".
We've had this debate here a lot,
while they're  not participating in labor. it's is THEIR CHOICE which means they are NOT UNEMPLOYED
(however, most States allow them to LIE UNDER OATH and qualify anyways)

the definition of unemployed is AVAILABLE and WILLING to work AND ACTIVELY SEEKING same.
and official unemployment stats right now show very high rates at the same time most all business is BEGGING for employees
(10-19-2020, 12:14 AM)DaveGillie Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 07:45 PM)aqua Wrote: Who is watching the kids during the day ?

It all adds up.

Great answer aqua!

I do hear these three things all the time
1. Have to stay home to take care of school age kids
2. I'm scared to go to work and catch covid
3. fkit all, I'm just retiring

of course, ALL Three of those mean that THAT Person does NOT Qualify as "unemployed".
We've had this debate here a lot,
while they're  not participating in labor. it's is THEIR CHOICE which means they are NOT UNEMPLOYED
(however, most States allow them to LIE UNDER OATH and qualify anyways)

the definition of unemployed is AVAILABLE and WILLING to work AND ACTIVELY SEEKING same.
and official unemployment stats right now show very high rates at the same time most all business is BEGGING for employees

I think you are splitting hairs now.

They are not working. I call that unemployment. You seem to be hung up over it being voluntary (or not). It appears justified by the circumstances (pandemic, not wanting to die, putting children ahead of job).

Are parents supposed to leave small children home alone now? 

Are elderly people supposed to risk death to make the rich even richer ?

I think there is also something called PUA to cover stuff like that.
(10-19-2020, 04:34 PM)aqua Wrote: I think you are splitting hairs now.

They are not working.  I call that unemployment.  You seem to be hung up over it being voluntary (or not).  It appears justified by the circumstances (pandemic, not wanting to die, putting children ahead of job).

Are parents supposed to leave small children home alone now? 

Are elderly people supposed to risk death to make the rich even richer ?

I think there is also something called PUA to cover stuff like that.

Don't get me wrong aqua,
those ARE good reasons to not work!

but that was not at all what I was addressing, I was asking why so many are claiming to "WANT to work but can't find a job" at the same time the Country is desperate for employees.
DIFFERENT Questions!

but related I guess as I realize the SYSTEM is a Fraud in that while you must by law be "looking for a job" to qualify for unemployment, the Govt unemployment offices know damn well you are NOT looking for a job and LIE to qualify you anyways.

so the answer to the riddle is that we live in a system that glorifies and encourages FRAUD. 
or "dictionary's are important"
(10-20-2020, 01:54 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: but related I guess as I realize the SYSTEM is a Fraud in that while you must by law be "looking for a job" to qualify for unemployment, the Govt unemployment offices know damn well you are NOT looking for a job and LIE to qualify you anyways.

so the answer to the riddle is that we live in a system that glorifies and encourages FRAUD. 
or "dictionary's are important"

The system is a fraud  from Top to bottom these days. Smile