{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing Market?
Well, not only did I sell, now I have to buy.  The question is, should I wait or just buy now?  The advantage is I get to buy a smaller house in a better location for less money now or later.
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
(10-31-2020, 05:42 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: Well, not only did I sell, now I have to buy.  The question is, should I wait or just buy now?  The advantage is I get to buy a smaller house in a better location for less money now or later.

If you are looking in a new area, then certainly rent at least short term. This gives you a chance to thoroughly scope the place out before you buy.

If it's in a familiar area, then you have the standard question - will house prices fall in the future from their insanely high perch? I've been wrong on this for longer than I care to admit, and during this entire period I have thoroughly convinced myself that it cannot possibly get worse. And then it invariably does.

We bought only because we found a combination of house features that we wanted, and sellers who were motivated to sell. They put an offer in on a place that was accepted, and they had to sell. We came in low, but were the highest that they received.
It's so much easier to scope houses and locations out now. Zillow is absolutely amazing. Plus you have Sattellite images of the whole area, Google street view, and interactive maps. Plus you have the demographics of the area including the racial make up. Then you have other info provided by the Feds on flood zones ect. Hard to remember how the world functioned before all this tech.

I don't think prices are going to fall, so I guess I'll buy.

Also the market is so hot, you have to make an offer the day after you look at the house, or it will be sold to someone else.
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
Zillow is amazing. We used it while we were looking for a house stateside for a while. There is no equivalent here - even though sales are public record, the realtors have a jealous grasp on sales data and try to sue anyone who uses them into oblivion. Obviously not in the consumers' best interests.
(10-31-2020, 11:02 PM)brunt Wrote: Zillow is amazing. We used it while we were looking for a house stateside for a while. There is no equivalent here - even though sales are public record, the realtors have a jealous grasp on sales data and try to sue anyone who uses them into oblivion. Obviously not in the consumers' best interests.

We have this:

https://www.realestate.co.nz/residential/sale

It's a great place to start. Great filter feature.
The housing market has gone bananas here. A lot of that CV19 cash has gone straight into property. Before CV19 my house was worth maybe 1.2 to 1.4. Now it's 1.8 to 2.0

Crazy days!
Yes, I purchased in mid January before everything went tits up. My house has gone up quite a bit as well. Though, I'm not really sure it matters to me. You have to live somewhere and I will not be selling. Smile
I would guess a fair bit of upward pressure on new your location is the middle class abandoning the Democrat cesspit cities: Portland Seattle SF LA etc.

It won't worry Big Tech because they intent to fill all those vacancies with Indians on visas, courtesy of Biden.