{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better future (&now) - USING LESS and LESS
"dematerializing", he calls it,
getting more from less materials

As we've (world) been getting more well off lately,
we use LESS real resources
using those "less resources" to get better off is just one MORE of many examples of why doomer "finite resource" IDIOTS are wrong,
yet again
(as is often in last few hundreds years of human history).

there are a great many examples, but
the tiny cell phone replaces the massive quantity of electronic appliances our parents would have used is just one.
Even power usage seems to have stopped using more (other than the one bad example of massive investments in counter productive "clean" energy)

While not from the author or book,
I think the graphic I added below, even tho a TINY example, STILL illustrates how we've MASSIVELY increased our ability to use much less resources to accomplish MUCH MORE FOR MORE PEOPLE.

I'm sure the PERMANENT (closed minded) DOOMERS on this board will find ONE anecdotal irrelevant red herring to show why ALL THIS MASSIVE EVIDENCE AND FACTS are "wrong".   right??????????????????????
come on, TELL me

Now hopefully Govt doesn't step in to stop progress!

https://www.amazon.com/More-Less-Surprising.../dp/B07P5GPMTY

[Image: 80788239_767353057082109_503218915522904...e=5EB45E2C]
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Ok Doomers! I'll respond. Here's a decidedly less optimistic forecast:

https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/...d-swirlin/

Also, as to the chart above, I think it exemplifies the old maxim; It's better to have use and control of something while not "owning it". When you own " things" be it cars, real estate, a business, et al, you are responsible for them. Upkeep, maintainance, liability, taxes, employees, regulations, ect. If you can glean profitable use of something while not having those obligations, it's a smart move, and a lot less stressful. That's why it's often better to know someone who owns a boat than to own one yourself.
Awesome. Thanks David. I added the book to my audible list.

(12-31-2019, 04:24 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: Ok Doomers! I'll respond. Here's a decidedly less optimistic forecast:

https://kunstler.com/clusterfuck-nation/...d-swirlin/

Also, as to the chart above, I think it exemplifies the old maxim; It's better to have use and control of something while not "owning it". When you own " things" be it cars, real estate, a business, et al, you are responsible for them. Upkeep, maintainance, liability, taxes, employees, regulations, ect. If you can glean profitable use of something while not having those obligations, it's a smart move, and a lot less stressful. That's why it's often better to know someone who owns a boat than to own one yourself.

I like Kunstler, mainly for politics. He was all-in on the peak oil days as well and was wrong. I do think we are going to start hitting inflation on commodities now. Invest and prepare accordingly. I also believe we will see the union break apart some time over the next 20 years.
As for "peak oil", we'll see.  Shale oil fracking is cracking up as we speak.  To me it's a prime example of cheap money and loans propping up a business model that has always been unprofitable since inception.  That's ending now.  Also shale oil wells are notoriously short lived and deplete quickly.  As oil analyst Art Berman says, it's been a retirement party for oil execs.
(12-31-2019, 05:01 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: As for "peak oil", we'll see.  Shale oil fracking is cracking up as we speak.  To me it's a prime example of cheap money and loans propping up a business model that has always been unprofitable since inception.  That's ending now.  Also shale oil wells are notoriously short lived and deplete quickly.  As oil analyst Art Berman says, it's been a retirement party for oil execs.

Well, it' unprofitable when oil is at a certain price. Yes the oil industry is over leveraged and we are going to continue to see bankruptcies. But that's not the same as peak oil.
I can see a lot more dematerialization coming along soon:

I see tertiary education set for a massive reset. Someone is going to break the mold in the education sector by offering real degrees from real, established universities online, with just annual exams run in a local hall near where you live. Maybe a few weeks actually on campus to meet and attend a few lectures or practicals. There is so much waste in the current model it's crying out for change.

I'm in the local residents association and last year we ran a public meeting in a local school hall to discuss what we like and didn't like about our area. What we wanted to change and what we liked. One of the many outcomes was that as soon as the high speed broadband is rolled out in the area a significant number of people wouldn't necessarily need to physically go to work. In essence anyone who spends all day on a computer. Since then my daughter, who works for AIG, got her broadband and now only commutes three days a week and that is out of rush hour times. So she's moved out of town and has a semi rural lifestyle. Why not? She spends all her day either using their online system or talking to people overseas. All this is location independent.

Where I live it's been found that about 50% of rush hour trips are "education related". That's kids being dropped off at school, it's teachers going to school, it's students going to the three universities in the city. If education is dematerialized that's a large chunk of that 50% gone.

So I can see a massive dematerialization of infrastructure slowly coming. That new freeway you're seeing built might be the last new freeway for a long time because the demand drops.

Two years ago I was the design verifier for a plant being extended in Hanoi, Vietnam. The design team was in Melbourne, Australia I was in Auckland, New Zealand, the drafting team was in India and two guys went to site and photographed everything and LIDAR scanned the existing site. That's a major brownfield project done remotely. All comms were either email, phone or video conferencing. Think of the air flights not taken, the hotels not used, the carbon not emitted. Think of the deflation...
Here's more doomer " facts" ???

http://themostimportantnews.com/archives...to-believe
Yes, education will be shaken to its core - particularly post-secondary education.
(12-31-2019, 02:56 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: [Image: 80788239_767353057082109_503218915522904...e=5EB45E2C]

Angel  Looks like a list of services.  With one exception - I think Bitcoin is a financial fraud.
Me too re Bitcoin - it's a ponzi scheme