{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court rules states can require online retailers to collect sales tax
The justices broke with 50 years' worth of legal rulings that barred the states from imposing sales taxes on most of the purchases their residents make from out-of-state retailers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme...es-n873416

Because of a deadlocked Congress that has been deadlocked for what seems like ages, both the Executive branch and the Judicial branch are going to start legislating.  Expect more activist Judges.

This is necessary because Congress is refusing to update laws to reflect the changing times.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
(06-21-2018, 03:50 PM)ModestProposals Wrote: The justices broke with 50 years' worth of legal rulings that barred the states from imposing sales taxes on most of the purchases their residents make from out-of-state retailers.

Because of a deadlocked Congress that has been deadlocked for what seems like ages, both the Executive branch and the Judicial branch are going to start legislating.  Expect more activist Judges.

This is necessary because Congress is refusing to update laws to reflect the changing times.

interesting ruling

to be clear, the COURT did NOT change sales tax on residents who buy out of state, like the article said.
Residents have ALWAYS been subject to that.

What it did with a 5-4 ruling was say some/most of that sales tax administration can be forced upon out of State businesses instead of just in State businesses or in State residents.

this flies in the face of our Founding Fathers who clearly said tax competition between states is critically important.
it also gives tax advantage now to out of Country retailers. while making small US retailers subject to over 10,000 jurisdictions of varying taxes! (ie kill the little guy to help Walmart)
(06-21-2018, 03:50 PM)ModestProposals Wrote: The justices broke with 50 years' worth of legal rulings that barred the states from imposing sales taxes on most of the purchases their residents make from out-of-state retailers.

That will be inconvenient.
I am fortunate to live no-so-far from Delaware, one of the states with no sales tax.  On the occasion when I buy a big-ticket item, I have it shipped to a UPS or FedEx retail location there, and held for me.  There are also five Amazon Lockers in and around Wilmington, DE, one just off I-495 a few miles south of the PA line, and one just off the foot of the bridge from New Jersey.

This will for the most part harm consumers, although some will benefit:
-online vendors too small for states to bother tracking down, or who fall under exemption limits (for example the $100,000 limit for SD--if you don't do $100K in sales a year to South Dakota, you're unaffected)
-overseas vendors--Americans are already ordering more things online from vendors outside the US.  If they have to pay sales tax on everything they buy from domestic sellers, the foreigners gain an advantage.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.