OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saudi girl
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/j...estigation

What do you make of this story?

For me it is weird reading it in the Guardian, as yesterday I had a comment removed under an article where some Guardian writer called Zoe praises the BBC for having a woman Dr Who.  My comment was to the effect that I am a woman and  political correctness and the thought police are scarier than "the patriarchy" ever were, and that they use the word "woman" in a special way that has nothing to do with most women.  Most of the comments the moderator removed still had the poster's name, but my comment was removed in its entirety. 
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio...doctor-who

When I opened the above linked Guardian article, from Google news, I got some long running script message and got a bit scared that the Guardian thought police were tracking me.  I am serious, political correctness scares the hell out of me, it is like something out of Orwell where everything means its opposite.

I can't quite put my finger on exactly what scares me so much about PC.  It is like the way the Guardian used the word "woman" to describe Hillary Clinton when she lost the election.  It is like they control what the word woman means, who it applies to, and they can remove the description from me and give it to somebody who was born a man....insisting that everyone uses the correct gender pronoun....is it actually illegal to not refer to Brucelyn as "she"? Why the obsession with transgender? What is the agenda behind it? Does political correctness actually have any legal clout? It does obviously have economic clout, political correctness can destroy people's careers and get them expelled from universities, and those who say the right things get promoted into positions of power and are highly paid and therefore think they are better than me....sorry I tend to value people for their intelligence or creativity, things like that, and don't accept they are better than me....

So this story for me was read in that context. Though I did see a beautiful young girl dressed appropriately for summer touring an ancient site, and thought it innocent and that it is awful that anyone would want to punish her....but the Guardian brigade will definitely be using her kind of story to push for far more than just making it acceptable for a young woman to wear perfectly reasonable attire. Does anyone know where this war of words is located, where I can read what the Saudis are saying back to the PC thought police? Somewhere they are not using the innocent as barricades?
I think you're still well below the threshold of PC being a risk to you personally and directly.

However, you are correct, The future is risky as they use Political Correctness more and more to attack individuals legally.
I prefer this version of the story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ested.html

I hope the girl is ok and they don't charge her with anything, and maybe soften their dress code without turning Kartrashian.
Quote:But according to Saudi news agencies the woman has told the authorities that the videos were posted without her knowledge.

There's a separate issue here--even if you're fine with Saudi law:  the woman didn't take the pictures herself.  If she didn't post them herself (as she maintains) then if anything she's a victim, not a criminal.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
(07-18-2017, 11:18 PM)Herring Wrote:
Quote:But according to Saudi news agencies the woman has told the authorities that the videos were posted without her knowledge.

There's a separate issue here--even if you're fine with Saudi law:  the woman didn't take the pictures herself.  If she didn't post them herself (as she maintains) then if anything she's a victim, not a criminal.

huh?

the crime is (in Saudi Arabia) how she was dressed,

so why you thinking photographed or posted as the issue?
just because criminals get photographed doesn't make them a "victim, not a criminal".

it's a bad law, sure, but it IS LAW in that Country,
just like the USA has a lot of bullshit laws

a better complaint would be against the USA supporting Saudis in this evil
(07-19-2017, 02:17 AM)DaveGillie Wrote: the crime is (in Saudi Arabia) how she was dressed,

so why you thinking photographed or posted as the issue?

Presumably even in SA, everyone's entitled to dress how they like when they're alone (in private), including being totally nude.
If the woman believed she was alone, or only in the company of her male relatives, the clothing laws should not apply.  I note that she was not charged with indecency at the scene...presumably because no member of the public saw her.
If the male relative took "intimate" pictures of her and posted them publicly, she should not be charged with indecency.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.