{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh no! Say it ain't so!
They have discontinued Cross and Blackwell mint sauce.  Hard to imagine eating lamb without it.
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Small problem. Very small problem.
Expand gardens now to avoid the Holodomor
Small problem? Them's fighting words Bub. I want my mint sauce!
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
Hahaha!
(03-27-2022, 01:01 AM)doubletroublejim Wrote: They have discontinued Cross and Blackwell mint sauce.  Hard to imagine eating lamb without it.

Grow a mint patch like me. In fact once it's planted it's hard NOT to grow a mint patch.

And hey - you eat lamb? That makes you part of a select group in the US!
Lots of sheep around here.
more here LOL
(03-27-2022, 05:47 PM)andrew_o Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 01:01 AM)doubletroublejim Wrote: They have discontinued Cross and Blackwell mint sauce.  Hard to imagine eating lamb without it.

Grow a mint patch like me. In fact once it's planted it's hard NOT to grow a mint patch.

When I tell people we had lamb for dinner, it's amazing they almost always say they've never had it, which I find very strange.  That mint sauce has been around forever, and the only one here in the US that was any good.  The fact they discontinued it does probably mean few people eat lamb here.  It  was always hard to find in any case.  I ordered some English mint sauce and will see if it's any good.  My brother is going to try and make his own and we'll see how that goes.
Mint, malt vinegar, water, and a little sugar.  Doesn't look too hard.  It really was kind of a shock to me.  A small thing as sevenmmm says, but when it's a key ingredient to a dish you very much enjoy, it's bothersome.
I only say it being a small thing as I have totally revamped my diet to not include any sugar and very little manufactured products. In this regard one mint sauce being taken off the market is a small thing.
And since I also think a lot of agribusiness products will be in short supply, one cause is financial, but the main cause is loss of soil fertility all at once around the planet from overusing chemicals on the fields, there are more products that will cease to exist.
Like always, I'm ahead of the curve, although most of the time too far ahead which makes it appear I am dead wrong.
(03-28-2022, 11:35 AM)doubletroublejim Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 05:47 PM)andrew_o Wrote:

When I tell people we had lamb for dinner, it's amazing they almost always say they've never had it, which I find very strange.  That mint sauce has been around forever, and the only one here in the US that was any good.  The fact they discontinued it does probably mean few people eat lamb here.  It  was always hard to find in any case.  I ordered some English mint sauce and will see if it's any good.  My brother is going to try and make his own and we'll see how that goes.
Mint, malt vinegar, water, and a little sugar.  Doesn't look too hard.  It really was kind of a shock to me.  A small thing as sevenmmm says, but when it's a key ingredient to a dish you very much enjoy, it's bothersome.

It's easy. I used to do it for my mum when I was a kid. It's not exactly cooking...
Go easy on the sugar.
I have a massive mint patch alongside my carport that spreads out untamed. If I'm doing a bit of tight turning in the car I run over the edge of the mint and get a wonderful waft of mint coming through the car window. It's the little things...