OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Old Board Got Buggered
The old phpbb board was getting worse and worse. It looked like the final straw was the data base got upgraded on the back end by the host and the hash for storing passwords needed to be more complex. So, I would end up having to go through all the hashes in the db and try and reset peoples passwords one by one then email everyone individually. 

I was going to start trying to reset passwords and email everyone, then I thought well even then it might not work and I had been having issues upgrading the phpbb versions anyway (I screwed something up long ago that made it more difficult).

If anyone is upset that all of their posts are gone, I made a local copy of the db and it looks like I might be able to import it into this new forum.  In the mean time if someone wants me to pull something from the old forum I can give it a shot, just message me.

I decided to go with a new message board software.  After having issues with the phpbb and researching, I choose to go with MyBB. It is a bit simplified and easy to manage.  

I'll try and send a email out to everyone soon.
Test post!
Xxx!!!
Thanks for signing back up!

There are actually a lot of cool features with the message board.  Looks like will be much easier for me to update,maintain and administer as well!

How many times have we all played this game?
it happens gents. roll with the flow I say.
Nice that taoeconomics forum is back.
(09-18-2016, 03:56 PM)StingingAdmin Wrote: The old phpbb board was getting worse and worse. It looked like the final straw was the data base got upgraded on the back end by the host and the hash for storing passwords needed to be more complex. So, I would end up having to go through all the hashes in the db and try and reset peoples passwords one by one then email everyone individually. 

I was going to start trying to reset passwords and email everyone, then I thought well even then it might not work and I had been having issues upgrading the phpbb versions anyway (I screwed something up long ago that made it more difficult).

If anyone is upset that all of their posts are gone, I made a local copy of the db and it looks like I might be able to import it into this new forum.  In the mean time if someone wants me to pull something from the old forum I can give it a shot, just message me.

I decided to go with a new message board software.  After having issues with the phpbb and researching, I choose to go with MyBB. It is a bit simplified and easy to manage.  

I'll try and send a email out to everyone soon.

Thanks SN   you are a dedicated man
Thanks Much SN!

We appreciate this forum and your work.

Might be neat to publish the old forum as an EBOOK?
if you can salvage a workable database of it,
When we lost the original DR forum it seemed a shame back then that so much "knowledge" was lost! (and I use the word loosely).
Good that you are back up and running! Thanks for keeping it going.
I LEARNED ME LESSON WAY BACK AT THE OLD DR BOARD... I'VE BEEN SAVING MY BEST WORK EVER SINCE, IN ME DOCUMENTS.