{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLL - careful or stupid? debate going on
so, several times in the last couple days I've gotten in arguments with my wife and employee a friend!

THEY claim it is "not careless" to leave money where I call it "laying around" they say "it's a proper place:.

curious how off I am, or am I??? can you guys chime in

is it careless to leave cash laying visible in a locked car?
in an unlocked car visible from outside?
in an unlocked car in garage?
Leave car with keys IN IT in a garage?
in an unlocked locker at home?
in an unlocked locker at work?
in your wallet on your restaurant's table even when you go to the bathroom?
AND is the answer the same if talking of a Card vs Cash??

I'll tell you my answers after I hear a couple of  yours
(and I'm thinking this ties into why some people have money and others do NOT)
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Yes, cash and its near-equivalents should be kept out of sight.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
(05-09-2017, 09:01 PM)Herring Wrote: Yes, cash and its near-equivalents should be kept out of sight.

ok, agreed.

I need to know if in an UNLocked locker out in a public building would be OK in anyone's mind - it's out of sight
I was taught that leaving cash lying out is not only stupid but also sinful because you might tempt a person into stealing.
I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having it's motives questioned.
(05-09-2017, 11:45 PM)DaveGillie Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 09:01 PM)Herring Wrote: Yes, cash and its near-equivalents should be kept out of sight.

ok, agreed.

I need to know if in an UNLocked locker out in a public building would be OK in anyone's mind - it's out of sight

The only time that I ever leave cash in sight is to leave a relatively small amount on our kitchen table sometimes when we leave the house for a few days. It cannot be seen from the outside, but is visible from the inside. The thinking here is the "smash and grab" type break in is often perpetrated by a druggie simply looking for a fix. They will trash the house until they feel that they have enough value to get said fix. So by making it visible and available, the hope is to lose only the cash on the table and be done with it.

Of course, "OK" is a scale, let's just say from zero to ten. Safely in my pocket is a ten. On an unoccupied restaurant table is a zero. Visible in a locked car is a minus five (not only will you lose the money, you will have hundreds of dollars of damage done to your car).

In an unlocked locker is about a two. While it is better than out in the open, it is definitely a target for theft. I would only leave it there if the alternative was worse. I cannot imagine why an unlocked locker would be better than the alternative, but I suppose such conditions could exist from time to time.

My opinion on the broader issue here - providing unsolicited advice to people (assuming that they did not ask you about your thoughts on the matter) is that I will state my opinion and elaborate if asked, but I will drop the subject as soon as my opinion has been said. Far too many people cannot handle being told that they are doing something "wrong" and will resist any suggestions far beyond a reasonable limit in order to avoid admitting that they are wrong. Too many arguments that can be avoided easily. If there is no reasonable possibility for a positive outcome, I don't argue.
BRUNT, great advice as always, thanks!

Last few days been rough with people dragging me into their drama that I see as none of my business and their own careless irresponsibility.

Just started second guessing myself and came here for re assurance, or to change.

I guess I'm just WAY too careful and most people aren't.
From my wife and X wife who ALWAYS leave cash laying out visible even against repeated smash and grabs! (who doesn't learn from that!!!) to the horrible FIT a high schooler just threw over losing his cash in an UNLocked locker at Gym class (because the school "ONLY" gives them ONE FREE LOCK for their lockers per year) huh??! to Customers (FIVE TIMES in two days!!!!!!!!!!!) insisting that it is MY JOB to watch their stuff when unattended - because I have a few cheap crappy security cameras. hmmm. to Servers who say I should put security cameras in the personal LOCKER Room to catch the thieves stealing their FULL BOttles of strong pain meds they prefer to store IN HERE instead of in their CAR (or using the lockers I provide - but I don't provide "free locks" too).

I need learn to smile and say "I'm so sorry" and then STOP.
instead of "what the fuck are you leaving that shit OUT FOR!!! Secure it instead of being so careless and irresponsible"

ONE interesting retort to that was "so you think it's ok for me to be RAPED if I wear a short skirt because I'm showing it instead of securing it?".

ahhhhhhhhhh, ahh, well, NO, I never said it was OK - people really should be able to leave tons of cash laying around without worrying about it.
but it is also a good idea to recognize reality??????????  OR NO???
shame on ME though

ok, agreed.

I agree with brunt--it's slightly better than out in the open, but since a locker is a place for storing valuables, to put valuables in a locker in a public place without locking the locker is still stupid.

Quote:ONE interesting retort to that was "so you think it's ok for me to be RAPED if I wear a short skirt because I'm showing it instead of securing it?".

It's  not "ok", but 1) she is still more likely to be raped if she wears the short skirt, and 2) as with leaving valuables unsecured, it's in her best interest to be sure that the crime doesn't happen, as she will be the one suffering the consequences.

This is an issue I see with young people today--they have somehow become un-attached to reality.  Maybe their education has spent too much time focusing on what's ok, without any emphasis on the fact that the universe will continue to operate, without regard to what's ok.  Not to mention that some 1% of the population are sociopathic and take pleasure in causing harm to others.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
(05-10-2017, 11:03 PM)Herring Wrote:

ok, agreed.

I agree with brunt--it's slightly better than out in the open, but since a locker is a place for storing valuables, to put valuables in a locker in a public place without locking the locker is still stupid.

Quote:ONE interesting retort to that was "so you think it's ok for me to be RAPED if I wear a short skirt because I'm showing it instead of securing it?".

It's  not "ok", but 1) she is still more likely to be raped if she wears the short skirt, and 2) as with leaving valuables unsecured, it's in her best interest to be sure that the crime doesn't happen, as she will be the one suffering the consequences.

This is an issue I see with young people today--they have somehow become un-attached to reality.  Maybe their education has spent too much time focusing on what's ok, without any emphasis on the fact that the universe will continue to operate, without regard to what's ok.  Not to mention that some 1% of the population are sociopathic and take pleasure in causing harm to others.

That's the argument conservative Muslims use for Muslim woman wearing a full Habib.  If a Muslim woman wears anything less, she is de facto asking to be raped by a Muslim man.
(05-11-2017, 03:24 AM)ModestProposals Wrote: That's the argument conservative Muslims use for Muslim woman wearing a full Habib.  If a Muslim woman wears anything less, she is de facto asking to be raped by a Muslim man.

bad people grasp at any excuse for their behaviour they can,

but the truth is millions of Muslim women WITH a full Habib get raped by them as well.