OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why your data is never going to be safe
It's cheaper for companies to let themselves be broken into (and your confidential data stolen) than to spend the money on good security.  So, they'll continue to be hacked:

Sad reality: It's cheaper to get hacked than build strong IT defenses

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/23/..._decision/
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
ANNNNND THIS FACT IS WHY I USE "BURNER PHONES AND PUTERS" FOR THIS TYPE OF THING... AMONG OTHERS OF COURSE...
Doesn't help with your insurance company, credit cards, banks, etc.
Yep, there is certain data with protecting and other data not so much. Though things may change.
I have thought about this a bit and decided it's very hard top become invisible. The future for privacy looks grim indeed!
Online data security is like..............

[Image: property-garage_door_opener-garage_doors...04_low.jpg]
[Image: computers-computers_analyst-information-...57_low.jpg]
(09-23-2016, 08:06 PM)matlock Wrote: ANNNNND THIS FACT IS WHY I USE "BURNER PHONES AND PUTERS" FOR THIS TYPE OF THING... AMONG OTHERS OF COURSE...

curious what type of activity one must use a "burner phone" for..............

burner puter I can see, but for, you can't connect to anything without a service - which negates the anonymity, no???
(09-26-2016, 07:22 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: burner puter I can see, but for, you can't connect to anything without a service - which negates the anonymity, no???

Well, you can get anonymous services, like prepaid cellular calls and data.  Hook that up with your smartphone / tablet that you paid cash for, and you're anonymous to start with.  Until:
*you make phone calls.  Who you call and when tells them about who you are.  If it doesn't offhand, they just ask your contacts who you are
*you use the data plan.  What servers you connect to tells them who you are, unless you use a VPN 100% of the time (so all they can see is an encrypted connection).  Even then, they could contact the VPN owner and demand information (so the VPN had best be both privacy-friendly and located in a country where they won't be forced to help.)

I'm talking more about the personal information that you have to create/surrender to do anything in the US:  have insurance policies (health, car, homeowner's), financial accounts (bank, brokerage), a job, etc.  All of these require entrusting your personal information to someone else, which persons having little incentive to keep said info safe from criminals.  These criminals may live (or control computers from which they do their hacking) overseas, in jurisdictions that make it very difficult to track them down.
(09-23-2016, 07:27 PM)Herring Wrote: It's cheaper for companies to let themselves be broken into (and your confidential data stolen) than to spend the money on good security.  So, they'll continue to be hacked:

Sad reality: It's cheaper to get hacked than build strong IT defenses

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/23/..._decision/

Excellent analysis.

Although the US is still slightly better off than most other places:

[Image: 57a8082c-60ce-4b06-af12-a4fd983f20b5.jpg] 

But that's small comfort when it's your data that gets stolen..........
"Sooner or later everyone sits down to a banquet of consequences."  -- RLStevenson