{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dave Gillie is Retired
(10-21-2021, 08:13 PM)mason Wrote: That's great Dave, congratulations! Any post retirement plans?

Thanks mason        and
oh LOTS of plan.

it'll take me +2? years to clean out and organize my home - been working slowly on it since remarrying 21 years ago which really made a mess of it.
One thing I really really like now is, just plain relaxing and not worrying about stress, deadlines, liabilities, - taking me a minute to convince my wife tho, she thinks I need replace told stressful deadlines with new "fun home" stressful ones!  NOT!!!
Been Playing video games, reading, researching, planning, visiting, more active in my son's school stuff, back to walking 5ks (health break) working on my health and it's research, I REALLY look forward to traveling, son in England and elsewhere. I'm Late answering this thread because i Just got back from driving around northern Michigan (always a great vacation). Been trying out variety of different special restaurants even if a far drive. I plan on doing a lot of consulting to help employees transition.

some of the above I've been slowly transitioning to over last months.

(10-21-2021, 09:21 PM)StingingNettle Wrote: Wow. That is super cool.  What a great story.  You should feel very proud Dave!

Also, it has been great reading your stories around the restaurant over the years.

Thanks SN

I'll feel proud IF it works for them! - should, they've been doing it decades. but never know......

course, my other options were sell to a stranger (usually they destroy it) or just close it (wouldve been fine with me, but NOT for customers and employees).

(10-22-2021, 10:17 PM)StingingNettle Wrote: Did they know they were going to get ownership?  Or did you completely surprise them?

Thanks for adding the photos andrew.

SN, more than a few months after CovidCrazy started my son made it clear to me that he wanted "NOTHING to do with the place, after Covidcrazy and even getting it free from my will (which they were going to).

SO I asked around to long term employees who stuck with us during the very hard times, starting then and they saw it coming with excitement.
(interestingly, one employee who abandoned us for another safer job during covid, then came back after things calmed down, is complaining up a storm that she was not included)

(10-22-2021, 10:26 PM)andrew_o Wrote: When all this covid crap is over, both of you come visit NZ and I'll show you around.

That sounds awesome!!

PM me your contact info in case this place gets zapped, probably be like late Spring or Summer 2022 unless Covid gets crazier! or if we spend too much time in England.
(my wife prefers Australia she says AND my son says "I don't wanna go to NewZealand, they don't have good people there" HUH?! he wouldn't explain - I wonder where he got that from)

THANKS
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
(10-25-2021, 02:24 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: Congratulations Dave.  Job well done.  It takes a very special person to make something like that.  How you navigated to such a success in today's world truly testifies to your abilities.  May your future be filled with good adventures.

Thanks Inno, dtj, and everyone for the well wishes.

How I got to this point was almost chance. I did not plan to make a business for employees,

I planned other things well enough to take advantage of where I fell.

Planning gave me a good business, with deserving employees (that was a long hard process!). Long term planning made me a C corporation - critical to making this happen. Most all other small business are other forms/taxtypes of business or a pass thru Limited Corp.

THEN Covid crazy rewarded my style of restaurant (and employee).
THEN Covid Govt policies (that didn't help many or hurt many) dumped cash on me in a way that, to get it out, I needed a tax advantage system
then too, Sons' trained to have a strong will to do their own thing.

came together LIKE a Plan
Very cool. Thanks for sharing Dave!
Congratulations Dave!

I have found myself also retired on at least a temporary basis. We were considering it anyway, and conditions just lined up and here we are. Nothing as grand as your retirement, though.

I will be spending some time posting educational videos on some topics near and dear to my heart - namely machine learning, and how to do well at math contests. These are the kinds of things that I wish that I had help with when I was younger.
(10-26-2021, 07:37 PM)brunt Wrote: Congratulations Dave!

I have found myself also retired on at least a temporary basis. We were considering it anyway, and conditions just lined up and here we are. Nothing as grand as your retirement, though.

I will be spending some time posting educational videos on some topics near and dear to my heart - namely machine learning, and how to do well at math contests. These are the kinds of things that I wish that I had help with when I was younger.

hmmmmmmmm

if not posting them HERE,

let me know where.

My 15 yo SON is all A's in 9th grade and seems to love math and computer video games, (no idea where he got that Math aptitude from - just like I've no idea where he got his height from - but I did that 23me thing and know he's mine!!)
he keeps asking me for help and I'm worthless.

he might like your videos.
(10-26-2021, 10:38 PM)DaveGillie Wrote:
(10-26-2021, 07:37 PM)brunt Wrote: Congratulations Dave!

hmmmmmmmm

if not posting them HERE,

let me know where.

My 15 yo SON is all A's in 9th grade and seems to love math and computer video games, (no idea where he got that Math aptitude from - just like I've no idea where he got his height from - but I did that 23me thing and know he's mine!!)
he keeps asking me for help and I'm worthless.

he might like your videos.

Sure thing, Dave.

When I get to the point of actually posting videos, I was planning on posting here, asking for anyone with young relatives who are so inclined to give them a watch, as I would welcome the feedback.

I am the child of two high school dropouts, and grew up in a highly rural area, so I kind of sprung up out of nowhere as well.

You may want to plant the seed of an idea in his mind - he may want to consider my alma mater, The University of Waterloo for his post-secondary studies (computer science link: here). It's only three hours away from you by car (crossing at Sarnia).

I am not up on the recent stats, but I know that in the 80's and 90's, Microsoft hired more Waterloo graduates than from any other university in the world - even American universities. It's a five year program, but it is co-operative, so six of those four month terms are paid work terms. Yes, it takes a year longer, but you graduate with two years of paid experience. They have Computer Engineering as well, in case he is more engineering-minded. Lots of Math and Engineering possibilities - two of my degrees are in Systems Design Engineering, which is Engineering which is very heavy on the mathematical modelling of Engineering problems.

I received a scholarship (Canadian scholarships are far more modest than the US ones), and the only way I was able to go to University was if it was co-op. Either that, or through the Army, which coming from an Army family, I knew enough that that was not the route for me.

Waterloo sponsors annual math competitions, which are popular enough that the results are used to decide who gets scholarships. I would heavily recommend that your son enter these. If you need any help getting started, I can help there. The videos that I will be making will be based on past contests from Waterloo, which would be quite typical of any contest that he could hope to find. The costs are modest (link), and are often covered by the school. High ranking in these contests is used to choose who gets to write the Canadian Olympiad, and the top eight students of this (four in my year) are chosen to attend the International Mathematical Olympiad.

If he has any questions, fire me off a pm, and I can give you my email address. I would be more than happy to answer any questions that he might have.
Congrats Dave. I retired in August and haven't missed work one bit.

If you make it to Australia, let me know. Happy to put you up and show you around our neck of the woods. We live at the start of the Great Ocean Road. A spectacular piece of coastline.

Just remember, we drive on the left here! Victoria is one of the smaller states, so you can see a lot in a few days. Some of the other states are full of nothing much, except for the coastline.