OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millions Could be Evicted
Sad  Grim news.

The Housing Crisis Of 2020: Millions Of Americans Missed Their Last Rent Payments, And Tens Of Millions Could Soon Be Evicted

July 16, 2020 by Michael Snyder

[Image: Eviction-Notice-Pixabay-560x373.jpg]

"Week after week we continue to get economic numbers that are absolutely horrific, and it appears that we are heading for a housing crisis that will be even worse than what we witnessed in 2008.  Back then, millions of Americans lost their homes, but this time around it could be tens of millions.  I know that a statement like that may sound overly dramatic, but I believe that many of you that feel that way may change your minds after reading this entire article.

In order to make rent and mortgage payments, Americans need paychecks coming in, and right now people continue to lose jobs at a pace that is hard to believe.

On Thursday, we learned that another 1.3 million Americans filed new claims for unemployment benefits last week.  That was worse than expected, and it represented the 17th week in a row when the number of Americans filing new claims for unemployment benefits exceeded one million.

And as I keep reminding my readers each week, the all-time record for a single week prior to this year was just 695,000......"
being evicted and being homeless are two DIFFERENT things.

I have a lot of experience in this area, what happens is, evicted people are eagerly and happily accepted by landlords elsewhere!
You hear of the ones that don't want evicted tenants, but that's NOT how they REALLY work/think.

iow, while there WILL be a LOT of evictions (once we gain that right again) 
those evicted will walk away with 4 months of free rent in their pockets to put down on a NEW PLace where they don't have to pay those PAST 4 months rent.

This is a windfall for renters!! (well, for some, especially the irresponsible ones)
(07-18-2020, 05:22 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: being evicted and being homeless are two DIFFERENT things.

I have a lot of experience in this area, what happens is, evicted people are eagerly and happily accepted by landlords elsewhere!
You hear of the ones that don't want evicted tenants, but that's NOT how they REALLY work/think.

Really ?

If I was a landlord the last thing I would want is someone else's problem tennant.
(07-19-2020, 12:59 AM)aqua Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 05:22 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: being evicted and being homeless are two DIFFERENT things.

Really ?

If I was a landlord the last thing I would want is someone else's problem tennant.

that is ALMOST true,
the LAST thing a landlord wants is a bunch of EMPTY rentals,

the SECOND to the last thing they want is someone else's problem.
when 80% of those seeking a rental have an eviction in their past, the above are often your only choices.

(as we say in the industry, "they're renters for a reason")
Don't you need a court order to evict for non payment? Aren't the courts still closed?
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
(07-19-2020, 03:55 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: Don't you need a court order to evict for non payment?  Aren't the courts still closed?

I know that's the case up here. Courts backed up 2+ years and climbing. Many people took a "rent vacation", and then decided not to start back up again when they started back to work.
(07-19-2020, 12:59 PM)DaveGillie Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 12:59 AM)aqua Wrote:

Really ?

that is ALMOST true,
the LAST thing a landlord wants is a bunch of EMPTY rentals,

when 80% of those seeking a rental have an eviction in their past, the above are often your only choices.

If that's the case Gillie, then be a smart forwarded looking landlord and pre-empt your tenant(s) move(s) by practicing some form of past-due rent forgiveness before you evict or before your tenants move in anticipation of an upcoming eviction.

(The natural inclination of a renter is to hate a rentier, but some things can be done to mitigate that)
(07-19-2020, 12:59 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: the LAST thing a landlord wants is a bunch of EMPTY rentals,

Smile  Maybe by not paying the rent they will be able to make a down payment on a house ?
(07-22-2020, 11:51 AM)aqua Wrote: Smile  Maybe by not paying the rent they will be able to make a down payment on a house ?

while that is true SOME times,

really aqua, MOST renters are renters for a reason

and it's NOT because they could possibly handle owning a home.
(even if given it for free quite often).

(07-22-2020, 11:32 AM)cbeatty Wrote: If that's the case Gillie, then be a smart forwarded looking landlord and pre-empt your tenant(s) move(s) by practicing some form of past-due rent forgiveness before you evict or before your tenants move in anticipation of an upcoming eviction.

(The natural inclination of a renter is to hate a rentier, but some things can be done to mitigate that)

ahh, GREAT suggestion cbeatty,

one that I've done before, to the absolute HORROR of ALL my landlord friends!

but it's worked out fine.

I'll be playing it by ear and individually, as things come