OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not yet in the Twilight Zone? This will get you there.
Wink 
https://www.city-journal.org/san-francis...r-homeless
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
(06-27-2020, 02:25 AM)doubletroublejim Wrote: https://www.city-journal.org/san-francis...r-homeless

Tongue  Ahhhh yes.  RayGun closed the mental hospitals/asylums.   Let the mentaly ill loose in the streets to fend for themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_Hea...ct_of_1980
You for reopening mental institutions and asylums aqua? That's not very woke of you. Oh the inhumanity! You better be careful, they'll be coming for you next.

What Reagan did in the 80's having to do with the homeless now living in luxury hotels and being given free booze, pot, and cigarettes is tangential at best. The way your feverish mind works often amazes me, but such is to be expected in the Twilight Zone.
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
(06-27-2020, 12:46 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: You for reopening mental institutions and asylums aqua?  That's not very woke of you. Oh the inhumanity!  You better be careful, they'll be coming for you next.

What Reagan did in the 80's having to do with the homeless now living in luxury hotels and being given free booze, pot, and cigarettes is tangential at best.  The way your feverish mind works often amazes me, but such is to be expected in the Twilight Zone.

Yup.  Closing the mental hospitals and asylums is what put those people on the streets.   The next time you step in a big pile of shit somewhere, be sure to thank Saint RayGun for that. Wink Wink Wink 

You are partly correct, what RayGun did in '81 has everything to do today with putting homeless folks in "luxurious" Motel 6's and similar flophouses.

But as for anyone giving them free booze, pot, and cigarettes, well, that is just the product of feverish minds working overtime at FAKE NEWS sites like Fox.

[Image: kuzdpqlux3g41.jpg]
My brother lives in San Francisco. If you bothered to read the article, It's all true and then some. But of course in the Twilight zone , you think what you think. It's all....whatever.
(06-27-2020, 06:02 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: My brother lives in San Francisco.  If you bothered to read the article,  It's all true and then some. But of course in the Twilight zone , you think what you think. It's all....whatever.

What !!  You don't think Motel 6 was once an elegant hotel chain ? ?
(06-27-2020, 12:46 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: You for reopening mental institutions and asylums aqua?  That's not very woke of you. Oh the inhumanity!  You better be careful, they'll be coming for you next.

What Reagan did in the 80's having to do with the homeless now living in luxury hotels and being given free booze, pot, and cigarettes is tangential at best.  The way your feverish mind works often amazes me, but such is to be expected in the Twilight Zone.

The closure of mental institutions occurred right around the western world. The theory was that they were better off being cared or 'in the community' but what this resulted in too often was vagrancy and crime. Here in NZ we've had a number of murders, attempted murders and rapes committed by people who had been let out of these places.

Quietly, we're building new ones - and it seems we can't build them fast enough.
Agree with Andrew. In those days outpatient treatment was all the rage in the world of psychology. Most of the institutions were also so bad that even the VA avoided sending people to them. And like so many similar government programs the funding wasn't really being used to help patients.
Having had some experience with taking care of a mentally ill person, this is near and dear to my heart.

Bottom line, mental illness is a very bad thing.

The old-style mental institutions were unpleasant places indeed. In fact, until recent pharmaceutical advances were made, there was not a lot that could be done with schizophrenia. So physical restraints, sedation and in the darker past, lobotomies were the go to solutions. Not a very nice life.

But even now, what is the alternative? Release them under their promise that they will keep themselves medicated? 100% absolute iron clad guarantee that they won't. I've seen it myself on a daily basis. And once unmedicated, their life will descend into a constant state of delusions where they are in literal fear for their life, and about 25% of the time in lucidity. Hygene, income and rational thought will go by the wayside. This is what we are seeing now.

In our case, we took the person in and in response to the daily refusal to take medication, we stressed to them on that not taking the required medication meant that we would send her off to a nursing home. It was a threat that we meant. It basically took my wife's entire life for five years, and my non-work life for four years, and entire life for one to take care of her. After her passing, we have spent an entire year digging out from leftover responsibilities of her care, and our delayed regular daily personal responsibilities.

I would not recommend others to try the same thing. We had the income to be able to, we have no children, and no outside responsibilities. But even at that, the costs to our lives were incalculable.

So once again, it is easy to sit back and complain about the status quo. The asylums are awful, and the personal rights of the patients are taken away, and they are expensive to run. So take them out, and their lives are arguably worse as they become unmedicated, unhygienic and unemployed shells of human beings. Families cannot and will not be able to care for them. So fine, rather than complain, you come up with a better alternative.

In the end, no solution is even close to ideal. I don't pretend to have any answers here.
Absolutely correct Brunt. You've clearly been there.

I hadn't realized you knew Aqua personally...

On other thing: Legalizing weed will tip ten of thousands more into mental illness.