OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where would you put $200k at this time ?
Out of curiosity, if you had an extra $200K to spend/invest this month, what would you do with it ?

Smile  Just asking for a friend.
Personally, Canadian banks paying 6+% rock solid dividends still look pretty good to me. They were over 7% during the downturn, but this is still pretty good. Canadians also only pay half the regular tax rate. Not sure of the rules for Americans for foreign dividends.
Ports and power utilities
I would say tell you to play it safe, until really great deals come up.  Lots of cash, and a good bit of gold to balance out the threat of deflation and inflation.  Fiat metals like nickels and pennies are good long-term stashes but it appears that the Fiat Metals has closed or is rapidly closing.

I think we get a bit lower prices in stocks the next few weeks, a move up in early July or mid July, a sell off into August then a swift rally into late summer/early fall for a sucker high in stocks.  Aka a B wave top. Then a big sell off to new lows for the year.  After that you can do some stock picking.  

da bear
If you have a really good answer to that $200K question, millions of others, myself included, would like to know.
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
(07-11-2020, 12:51 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: If you have a really good answer to that $200K question, millions of others, myself included,  would like to know.

trying to think of what I "would do" with it, left me bewildered.

BUT THEN then I realized this covid craziness has made a bunch of money fall on me, and what did I DO with it? (as opposed to just hypothesizing about doing with it).

1. Finished paying off my only debt, home mortgage (I want security and bill free going into the unknown)
2. Added small quantities to my crypto currency and gold funds (sold some silver, only because I had so much and people BEGGED bribbed me into it)
3. Maintain a higher bank balance and more importantly CASH BALANCE (as in green paper)
4. Paid many bills ahead
5. Bought extra supplies (only ones I could safely access with long shelf life that I USE regularly)
6. Splurged on some fun stuff for the family  (using delivery internet ordering)
7. and of course, last but not least, invested in improving my business  (equipment furniture and employee raises)
8. I did put some more into select stocks (not as much as I had before I sold just before the covid crash).
Those are wise moves, although I'm skeptical of the crypto currencies.

The first step should always be to pay off debt and secure your home. I had that by 2000.

If I was still an active investor I think I would be betting on oil & gas for the long term.
Cool  There are many good ideas here.

The only thing I might add, is that platinum seems like a much better deal than gold at this time.  However, gold is the more popular of the two metals.

Crypto.  I still don't see how anyone will make that work if the electricity goes out.
I did put some more into select stocks (not as much as I had before I sold just before the covid crash).

... what might those stocks be? Utilities, Gold miners? Andrew's suggestion on oil and gas as an avenue is good IMO., Buy low sell high. The problem is the oil/ gas corps are so encumbered by debt it's hard to see where to go in that direction, put possibe I guess.

All my technical indicators say gold is overbought, but with all the crazy shit going on, who knows? Silver looks better to me than gold in the short to medium turn. The PM's have largely followed the stock market's up and down's. Firm belief they will go Down hard with the next market crash which is coming IMHO. The Fed has kept the market inflated at tremendous cost even buying corporate debt and ETF's by proxie. That the bubble will stay inflated is hard to believe, but possible I guess.

Spending your money on practical things that will help your family and business (if you have one) as Dave suggests is probably the best use for money . What to do with capital beyond that is a really daunting question right now.
Monty Python: “There are a great many people in the country today, who through no fault of their own, are sane.”
(07-12-2020, 12:44 PM)doubletroublejim Wrote: I did put some more into select stocks (not as much as I had before I sold just before the covid crash).

... what might those stocks be? Utilities, Gold miners?  Andrew's suggestion on oil and gas as an avenue is good IMO., Buy low sell high.  The problem is the oil/ gas corps are so encumbered by debt it's hard to see where to go in that direction, put possibe I guess.

JETS and NCLH I got in at bottom, doubled and dumped them. (airline and cruise gamble paid off).
Currenty I hold UPS and VZ and deliveries and internet/phone service plays.
(I like a singular focus, but Fedex would have worked, as would Microsoft, Apple....)
Fortunately my 13yo son made me buy Amazon also.
I think oil/gas are BAD risks still and for near future. multiple reasons.

All my technical  indicators say gold is overbought, but with all the crazy shit going on, who knows?  Silver looks better to me than gold in the short to medium turn. The PM's have largely followed the stock market's up and down's.  Firm belief they will go Down hard with the next market crash which is coming IMHO.  The Fed has kept the market inflated at tremendous cost even buying corporate debt and ETF's by proxie. That the bubble will stay inflated is hard to believe, but possible I guess.

Problem with silver (and platinum aqua!) is they have industrial/business use, I went with some gold as a pure inflation MONEY hedge insurance.
Even tho, deflation IS a clear risk. Diversity is more important in riskier times.

Spending your money on practical things that will help your family and business (if you have one) as Dave suggests is probably the best use for money .  What to do with capital beyond that is a really daunting question right now.

I do have family, but even if you don't, buy your personal items ahead, yes, even MORE (of things you USE).
ALSO remember your physical and mental health, spend money on them! that is a long term investment.