OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of Polio vaccine.
It made me think when somebody said their relative caught polio from a vaccine made in the USA, a long time ago.

I wondered if it was a faulty vaccine or just that it was live.

My grandfather didn't allow any of his children to have the childhood vaccinations, because he had been in the army and seen what vaccinations could do.  None of them ever caught the diseases that they weren't vaccinated against.  Even though they helped out on a farm "mucking out", they never got tetanus, and they went swimming in outdoor lidos but never got polio.  Tetanus wouldn't have anything to do with herd immunity because most other children were vaccinated, and polio they would have been more at risk from any live polio vaccines that other people had.

When I got my childhood vaccinations my mother was given an oral polio vaccine on a sugarlump, which made her very ill.  I am wondering if that was because she had never been vaccinated for polio as a child.  When we took my first child for childhood vaccinations, we parents were also given oral polio vaccine drops on jellytots, because the doctor said there was a small risk of catching polio from changing nappies (diapers in America) of a baby who had just had the vaccination.  I was perfectly ok and didn't get any bad reaction to this.  Maybe because I had the polio vaccination as a child?

It is a bit confusing which polio vaccine was live and which inactivated.  I assume that all oral polio vaccines on sugarlumps or jellytots were live, with the potential to proliferate?  I can't remember if my children were also given live oral vaccine, or part of the triple diptheria tetanus and polio injected vaccine, which I assume was all inactivated.  For the doctor to be concerned about parents exposed to a recently vaccinated child, I assume that the polio vaccine children got was also live.

Just curious in the light of current talk of making any future Covid19 vaccination mandatory.  I am wondering how safe it would be, and what causes issues.  My grandfather, who so opposed vaccination, died from an experimental pneumonia vaccination.  Trustingly he offered his arm to the doctor, and five days later he was dead, with meningitis written on his death certificate, leaving a struggling widow with small children.
Here in the states there was a big polio epidemic in the late 1940's and early 50's.  I know people who had it as children and it had serious complications for their health later in life.  I recall it as something of a summer time contagion, nobody here really knew how the virus was being spread.

There are two varieties of vaccine.  "Two types are used: an inactivated poliovirus given by injection (IPV) and a weakened poliovirus given by mouth (OPV)".  The oral vaccine is the dangerous one, but some people really hate getting shots.

Wikipedia has a nice history of polio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine
When I was a kid in the 1950s polio was an epidemic and a terrible threat.  There was even a little boy in my neighborhood living out the remainder of his terrible short life in an iron lung.  The polio vaccine ended all that.  Despite some problems vaccines have been a great blessing to mankind during my life.

I have had the flu vaccine every year for the last forty-five years as well as other vaccines such as those for tetanus and shingles.  I have never noticed any ill effects.
I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having it's motives questioned.
When I was a child around (I think) two years old I started having epileptic seizures within a couple of days after receiving several vaccinations I needed to travel overseas with my military parents. I stopped having seizures before I was six, but ended up with a mild form of Asperger's which I still have. I only made the connection between the vaccines and seizures about 10 years ago due to the anti-vaccine movement. I don't know if the vaccines were really responsible, but the timing has made me suspicious (or paranoid) enough to avoid getting any new ones.
I was the first or second year to get the vaccination in the UK. Thank my lucky stars! There was a girl in my school in leg braces from polio - the last of the victims in the UK.
(05-23-2020, 07:00 PM)mason Wrote: When I was a child around (I think) two years old I started having epileptic seizures within a couple of days after receiving several vaccinations I needed to travel overseas with my military parents. I stopped having seizures before I was six, but ended up with a mild form of Asperger's which I still have. I only made the connection between the vaccines and seizures about 10 years ago due to the anti-vaccine movement. I don't know if the vaccines were really responsible, but the timing has made me suspicious (or paranoid) enough to avoid getting any new ones.

Rolleyes  I for one am not planning to be first in line to try the Trump vaccine.

But if it is safe, I will get it.