OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Covid Anecdotes Every day life 2020
NEWS is all over the place and easy to get,
lots fake.

SO What about PERSONAL observations from real people here, one at a time.
What do YOU see that's different????

me:

in General: a lot more Fear and Anger and people being nicer to each other all at the same time

Specific anecdotes:
my Restaurant's BUSIER with just window than it was when the whole place was open
AND I'm tired as hell working too much and too HARD for an old man
AS most employees (and I only need half as many right now) simply WILL NOT COME TO WORK.
Some claim they're "afraid", some "sick" but NONE have Covid nor even know anyone with Covid
AND as I over hear them talk (my favorite way to get honest info) the talk is overwhelmingly about
quote "wow, I make so much on the new super high unemployment benefits, more than when I was working, I'm not gonna work even if he pays me under the table".

maybe Covid is the Soclialist paradise,
workers get a lot more money,
work less for it (or not at all)
and those evil greedy (small) business owners get worked to death

covid crises is just a continuation of making ALL the economy be Governmental
(and I claim super rich elite businesses like Amazon (FANG) etc really ARE part of Govenrment)
A lot less traffic on the road here than pre-pandemic.
We're down to lock down level 3 which means I can go kayaking again. There were people out boarding, windsurfing kite surfing, swimming. All good to see.

Only take away coffees available so we ordered and sat on the beach instead of the cafe. Not a big deal.

Wife's surgery has still not been rescheduled so she's basically sofa bound until a slot becomes available.

It's got to the point where I think it's possible that the lockdown may have caused more deaths than prevented them. I know of a guy whose cancer treatment was delayed because the wards were emptied for a wave of infected patients that never actually arrived. How many more of those are there? How may business failures will result in suicide? All this to try and save a few people who were already past the average expiry date.
(05-01-2020, 11:15 PM)andrew_o Wrote: ...... possible that the lockdown may have caused more deaths than prevented them. ..............
..........All this to try and save a few people................

SO YOU STILL THINK you know the motivation for the lockdown???????
(at the very least, it was to make people feel good, NOT to save lives)

one of my greatest discoveries in life was to stop wondering why things didn't turn out as they intended,

and started questioning WHAT they really intended to do, in the first place.

it's an uncomfortable place some times, but worth thinking about at least.
(05-01-2020, 02:28 PM)aqua Wrote: A lot less traffic on the road here than pre-pandemic.

I am really noticing that too.  I think the birds are noticing it too because they are singing a lot.
(05-02-2020, 08:45 AM)silverfish Wrote:
(05-01-2020, 02:28 PM)aqua Wrote: A lot less traffic on the road here than pre-pandemic.

I am really noticing that too.  I think the birds are noticing it too because they are singing a lot.

The air is lot cleaner too.

(05-01-2020, 11:15 PM)andrew_o Wrote: It's got to the point where I think it's possible that the lockdown may have caused more deaths than prevented them. I know of a guy whose cancer treatment was delayed because the wards were emptied for a wave of infected patients that never actually arrived. How many more of those are there? How may business failures will result in suicide? All this to try and save a few people who were already past the average expiry date.

65,605 official deaths here in the USA from Covid-19.

The real number is probably much higher, since testing in the US is still the exception.

https://www.google.com/search?client=fir...f+Covid-19

The pandemic is an all around disaster.
(05-02-2020, 12:00 PM)aqua Wrote: 65,605 official deaths here in the USA from Covid-19.

The real number is probably much higher, since testing in the US is still the exception.

WE SHALL SEE

https://mises.org/wire/march-us-deaths-c...all-deaths
The data is very messy and likely we shall never really know

> In most cases the China Virus is only one factor in a persons death. If a person who has terminal cancer dies in a hospice did they really die of the virus?

> Doctors don't save lives, they merely postpone death to varying degrees. So we need a new metric to measure this phenomenon. How's about 'persondays' where on of these units is equivalent to one person living for a day.
With the average fatality well into their 80's, how much life as snubbed out by the virus in terms of 'persondays'? Not a lot really.
(05-02-2020, 08:25 PM)andrew_o Wrote: The data is very messy and likely we shall never really know

> In most cases the China Virus is only one factor in a persons death. If a person who has terminal cancer dies in a hospice did they really die of the virus?

> Doctors don't save lives, they merely postpone death to varying degrees. So we need a new metric to measure this phenomenon. How's about 'persondays' where on of these units is equivalent to one person living for a day.
With the average fatality well into their 80's, how much life as snubbed out by the virus in terms of 'persondays'? Not a lot really.

The article I posted made a good argument for a simple way to look at data.

Just plain ole total deaths (ignore cause) compared to previous years total deaths.

This data is behind the times, but so far, where you can get it, there really is not a big uptick
I'm sure there WILL be,

but wouldn't it be interesting if Covid really ended up making NO Difference to death rates whatsoever?!

oh, and that "persondays" has issues, I mean, we ALREADY do it with average life expectancy and changes in life expectancy.
but to personalize it (with a word game? like you say, will really hurt people's feelings and pull on fears.
I don't see a problem with sticking with life expectancy
(05-02-2020, 08:25 PM)andrew_o Wrote: The data is very messy and likely we shall never really know

Rolleyes  I agree.

I realise that while the quarantines may have been a net positive, there is a significant minority of the population that has been hurt really badly by them.

Sooner or later the USA will have to re-open.

Sweden's model looks like the most reasonable one out there.