OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Domestic Travel Restrictions
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27...own-152561

Trump won’t stop American travelers, so governors do it instead

"The decisions could face legal challenges and have raised questions about why Trump doesn’t act himself.

President Donald Trump won’t shut down travel from America’s coronavirus epicenters, so governors are doing it themselves — citing the White House as inspiration and bracing for constitutional challenges.

In rapid progression, four states have ordered 14-day quarantines for some or all travelers arriving from other states. While the orders from Texas, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Florida all vary in scope, each has little precedent and is legally questionable, according to legal experts. And the decisions have also raised questions about why Trump didn’t just act himself, after mulling the option earlier this month. Some governors have pressed Trump to take such a step, given his more clear-cut — and arguably more effective — emergency powers to regulate travel between states in times of pandemic.

“I know this is unusual. I know it’s extreme. And I know some people don’t agree with it,” Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo, a Democrat, told reporters Friday as she announced her order, which quickly drew fire from civil liberties advocates.

“There are plenty of legal and constitutional issues involved in this,” acknowledged Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker, a Republican, when asked on Friday what further steps he might take. “There are certain things we definitely can do and there are certain things we can’t. … Some of it has to do with where federal authority begins and ends.”
The flurry of orders appears to have been triggered by an increasing exodus of New York City and New Orleans residents to other states as the situation in those locales becomes more dire and dangerous.

Some of the orders specifically target the New York region, while others are more broadly focused. The directives also range in aggressiveness. Texas and Rhode Island are planning to use state police to enforce their new policies. Raimondo said the National Guard will help implement its approach, which involves trying to intercept motorists with New York license plates, inform them of the quarantine order and finding out where they plan to stay.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, started the trend earlier this week, trying to discourage what he called “reckless” travel by sending the National Guard to Florida airports to tell inbound passengers from New York and New Jersey that they needed to self-isolate for 14 days. DeSantis announced Friday that he was stepping up the effort, setting up state police checkpoints on various highways to give similar instructions to people driving in from New Orleans......"
"Trump won't feed me"

so I do it myself.

"Trump won't wipe my ass"

so I do it myself

"Trump won't do my job for me"

so I do it myself

sheeesshhh aqua, your TDS is deep
(03-28-2020, 11:58 AM)DaveGillie Wrote: sheeesshhh aqua, your TDS is deep

Sheeshhh is right.   Do you support what the governors are doing?
Or are you just reflexively defending your cult leader because everything he touches dies ? ?
(03-28-2020, 02:08 PM)aqua Wrote:
(03-28-2020, 11:58 AM)DaveGillie Wrote: sheeesshhh aqua, your TDS is deep

Sheeshhh is right.   Do you support what the governors are doing?
Or are you just reflexively defending your cult leader because everything he touches dies ? ?

I've no position on them either way,
but as Dictionary Policeman, I was doing what I always do:
just explaining the choice of words for that headline.

Too many people take that as advocating or attacking what the headline was about, again, it's NOT, it's about the bullcrap choice of wording for it.

The headline SHOULD have explained what Govenors were doing PERIOD!, but a desperation to BLAME and attack, means they say things like (to change the words around a bit)
"Govenors are doing blah blah, because somebody in Africa wont do it for them".
NO THINKING PERSON really thinks the last half of that sentence was needed.
(03-28-2020, 03:14 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: I've no position on them either way,
but as Dictionary Policeman, I was doing what I always do:
just explaining the choice of words for that headline.

Too many people take that as advocating or attacking what the headline was about, again, it's NOT, it's about the bullcrap choice of wording for it.

The headline SHOULD have explained what Govenors were doing PERIOD!, but a desperation to BLAME and attack, means they say things like (to change the words around a bit)
"Govenors are doing blah blah, because somebody in Africa wont do it for them".
NO THINKING PERSON really thinks the last half of that sentence was needed.

LOL.  You saw the headline as an attack on your Cult Leader.  ....and that is what you're objecting to.
(03-28-2020, 03:20 PM)aqua Wrote: LOL.  You saw the headline as an attack on your Cult Leader.  ....and that is what you're objecting to.

interestingly, this is one of the most common sayings I call LOTS of people on all the time.

from my employees to may WIFE,
who often complain about "Joe blo wouldn't  do A so I had to!"

i retort back "like you are paid to do, good thing you did your job, and btw Joe blo is not even here"

or my wife saying:
"YOU let him do that!"

i retort back  " so did 8 BILLION other people in the world"

ACCURACY of LANGUAGE is important aqau, and its NOT always about Trump
(fyi my wife and employees are NOT Trump)
(03-28-2020, 03:27 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: from my employees to may WIFE,
who often complain about "Joe blo wouldn't  do A so I had to!"

i retort back "like you are paid to do, good thing you did your job, and btw Joe blo is not even here"

or my wife saying:
"YOU let him do that!"

i retort back  " so did 8 BILLION other people in the world"

ACCURACY of LANGUAGE is important aqau, and its NOT always about Trump
(fyi my wife and employees are NOT Trump)

Sounds like you are having a bad day already.
(03-28-2020, 03:46 PM)aqua Wrote: Sounds like you are having a bad day already.

oh hell yes,

Government has basically shut down my business,
Very nerve racking for me in addition......
my employees and customers are suffering and I feel their pain
I'm working all day to try to fix issues for everybody in this crises, .
donated most my N95 (local fire department mainly, I thought they were going to kiss me they so excited!)
paying tons of unemployment now - helping employees fill those forms yet mine is stuck demanding a live person that no longer exists etc.  Banking & financial issues - feeling overwhelmed is slowing me down, distracting and a bit hurts.
from friends asking for help to family (one dying one shut in invalid) to my support at work falling apart to web issues to maintenance issues - using house cleaning/organizing to give me breaks - my wife is crippled AND immuno compromised

My list is lot longer, I'm here to blow steam off to calm down so I can get back to real life helping things that matter