OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just to prove nothing has changed
During the black death:

“On hearing ill rumour that Londoners may soon be urged into their lodgings by Her Majesty’s men, I looked upon the street to see a gaggle of striplings making fair merry, and no doubt spreading the plague well about. Not a care had these rogues for the health of their elders!"

— Samuel Pepys, c.1665
I saw some photos of the London Underground (subway) supposedly taken today. Absolutely jamm-packed, as the absolute number of trains in service have been scaled back. Zero social distancing.

Samuel Pepys would have loved modern London. Probably would have been a friend of the Duke of York (as in fact he was during his own lifetime).
I woke this morning to the sound of no traffic. Normally we can just hear the hum from the Motorway a mile or two away. But today zilch.

The silence is eerie.

I will jump on my bike this afternoon and ride around the burb to take some photos.
Not much moving here in Chesapeake, mostly just Uber drivers delivering take out from restaurants. All "unessential" businesses have been ordered closed. So far, no one has tried to close down the two contractors we have doing work on our home, though they say getting supplies is slow and complicated now. Supermarkets still getting ransacked as well.
Iowa is still not sheltering in place.  Truck traffic is described as normal, but auto is down by almost half.

But Wisconsin, Illinois & Indiana are.

Minnesota can't make up their mind what they want to do.

I suspect most Red States are in denial.
I have to travel to work because we're deemed essential workers. Can't work from home due to National security obligations.

The freeway was about 50% of the normal traffic. On the base we are in elevated risk mode and some non-essential clerks are working from home, soldiers are being given take away food on the base. I'm staying out of the kitchen and eating sandwiches.
(03-25-2020, 12:57 PM)mason Wrote: Not much moving here in Chesapeake, mostly just Uber drivers delivering take out from restaurants. All "unessential" businesses have been ordered closed. So far, no one has tried to close down the two contractors we have doing work on our home, though they say getting supplies is slow and complicated now. Supermarkets still getting ransacked as well.

You live in Chesapeake!  That's where one of my favourite American companies is:

http://www.clcboats.com/
(03-25-2020, 04:41 PM)wayniac Wrote: I have to travel to work because we're deemed essential workers. Can't work from home due to National security obligations.

The freeway was about 50% of the normal traffic. On the base we are in elevated risk mode and some non-essential clerks are working from home, soldiers are being given take away food on the base. I'm staying out of the kitchen and eating sandwiches.

[Image: 106460450-158515618751420200325_state_re...=740&h=416]

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/coronavi...dates.html
IOWA is an acronym for 'Idiots Out Walking Around'.

Now more than ever.
(03-25-2020, 07:30 PM)andrew_o Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 12:57 PM)mason Wrote: Not much moving here in Chesapeake, mostly just Uber drivers delivering take out from restaurants. All "unessential" businesses have been ordered closed. So far, no one has tried to close down the two contractors we have doing work on our home, though they say getting supplies is slow and complicated now. Supermarkets still getting ransacked as well.

You live in Chesapeake!  That's where one of my favourite American companies is:

http://www.clcboats.com/

Is that where you got your plans? I've been thinking about making a couple of kayaks for my wife and me. Haven't gotten to the point of actually researching it, though.