OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to test someone's green credentials
When someone you know is droning on about the 'climate emergency' ask them if they're in favour of nuclear power to reduce CO2 emissions.

(Then watch their head explode)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Germany Solar and Wind is Triple the Cost of France’s Nuclear and Will Last Half as Long

Quote:France’s nuclear energy spending was 60% of what Germany spent on renewables. France gets about 400 Terawatt hour per year from nuclear but Germany gets 226 Terawatt-hours each year. 45 Terawatt-hours of Germany’s renewable power comes from burning biomass which generates air pollution.

Germany’s solar farms will have to be rebuilt every 15-25 years. The wind farms will need to be rebuilt every 20-25 years. Nuclear plants can last 40-80+ years. This means that it guaranteed that the solar and wind farms will have to be rebuilt in 15-25 years. The maintenance costs will increase as wind turbines or solar panels are replaced. The old turbines and solar panels will need to be replaced.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Is there a current technology that is like a man made green plant? Something that takes the carbon dioxide out of the air and turns it into carbohydrate or other energy rich product using sunlight? Chloroplasts can't be that difficult to duplicate?

Solar panels seem like a good idea, they could be part of the architecture of especially new homes, enabling people to be partially independent fuel wise. The problem seems to be storing the energy in the national grid? But if solar panels were in people's homes, storage wouldn't be a problem, as they would use the energy from the solar panels all the time, heating water, heating their homes, running air conditioning, powering computers and electronic devices, cooking...

My son said a small portable solar panel is enough to charge a mobile phone (cell phone), even in the UK where we don't get much sun, and saves a bit of money.

I am surprised that solar panels haven't been used on aircraft, as the sun's rays are far more intense at thirty thousand feet in the air. Maybe the amount of energy made in the short time an aircraft is flying wouldn't be enough to make any significant difference to the amount of fuel the aircraft would need? And night flights wouldn't be any use at all. It might be enough energy to power passengers' electronic devices but nothing like enough to power the aircraft itself....I am sure they have thought of it and dismissed it as unworkable. If it provided a decent fraction of the energy needed by the aircraft without adding weight or expense, that would be a knock back for the environmental protestors who don't like people being able to fly.

I don't like wind turbines, they are harming our birds, and people who live near them say the infra-sound makes them ill. From my understanding they have the same problem storing energy, and take more energy to run than they make?

Some people claim that Nikola Tesla invented a machine to create free energy......
(01-13-2020, 01:16 AM)silverfish Wrote: Is there a current technology that is like a man made green plant?  Something that takes the carbon dioxide out of the air and turns it into carbohydrate or other energy rich product using sunlight?  Chloroplasts can't be that difficult to duplicate?

Yes there is. Note the highlighted part:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...mV0C4JVOq4

Lab-grown food will soon destroy farming – and save the planet

It sounds like a miracle, but no great technological leaps were required. In a commercial lab on the outskirts of Helsinki, I watched scientists turn water into food. Through a porthole in a metal tank, I could see a yellow froth churning. It’s a primordial soup of bacteria, taken from the soil and multiplied in the laboratory, using hydrogen extracted from water as its energy source. When the froth was siphoned through a tangle of pipes and squirted on to heated rollers, it turned into a rich yellow flour.

But pancakes are not the intended product. Such flours are likely soon to become the feedstock for almost everything. In their raw state, they can replace the fillers now used in thousands of food products. When the bacteria are modified they will create the specific proteins needed for lab-grown meat, milk and eggs. Other tweaks will produce lauric acid – goodbye palm oil – and long-chain omega-3 fatty acids – hello lab-grown fish. The carbohydrates that remain when proteins and fats have been extracted could replace everything from pasta flour to potato crisps. The first commercial factory built by Solar Foods should be running next year.

The hydrogen pathway used by Solar Foods is about 10 times as efficient as photosynthesis. But because only part of a plant can be eaten, while the bacterial flour is mangetout, you can multiply that efficiency several times. And because it will be brewed in giant vats the land efficiency, the company estimates, is roughly 20,000 times greater. Everyone on Earth could be handsomely fed, and using a tiny fraction of its surface. If, as the company intends, the water used in the process (which is much less than required by farming) is electrolysed with solar power, the best places to build these plants will be deserts.
[Image: demonize-ecowise915.png?1578990752]
AQUA - 100% QUEER, 100% TRAITOR, 100% HIV/AIDS!!!
So far they've arrested over 180 people for arson in Australia.

There's a thing called the fire triangle

[Image: FireTriangle.jpg]

These are the elements required for combustion.

Oxygen - is all around us in the atmosphere

Fuel - is the dead wood that built up green protesters preventing local authorities from clearing it around towns

Ignition source - for the most part this was arson. What the media isn't telling you is that many of those who have been arrested are Muslims.

Notice that temperature doesn't come into it. Dry wood will dry just as easily in freezing temperatures
(01-14-2020, 07:25 PM)andrew_o Wrote: So far they've arrested over 180 people for arson in Australia.

Fuel - is the dead wood that built up green protesters preventing local authorities from clearing it around towns

Ignition source - for the most part this was arson. What the media isn't telling you is that many of those who have been arrested are Muslims.

Notice that temperature doesn't come into it. Dry wood will dry just as easily in freezing temperatures

You sure about that???

Quote:https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/austra...-id=230259
That would be a distortion of the facts. Police in New South Wales released a statement disclosing that since Nov. 8, 2019, 183 people, including 40 juveniles, have been charged with 205 bushfire-related offenses. Of the 183, 24 people have been charged with deliberately setting fires. According to police, of the 183, another “53 people have had legal actions for allegedly failing to comply with a total fire ban,” and an additional “47 people have had legal actions for allegedly discarding a lighted cigarette or match on land.”

As to the envior Wackos and built up dead wood, that makes sense, but, I've not seen any reliable objective measures of that like I have for California.
(01-14-2020, 08:17 PM)DaveGillie Wrote:
(01-14-2020, 07:25 PM)andrew_o Wrote: So far they've arrested over 180 people for arson in Australia.

You sure about that???

Quote:https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/austra...-id=230259
That would be a distortion of the facts. Police in New South Wales released a statement disclosing that since Nov. 8, 2019, 183 people, including 40 juveniles, have been charged with 205 bushfire-related offenses. Of the 183, 24 people have been charged with deliberately setting fires. According to police, of the 183, another “53 people have had legal actions for allegedly failing to comply with a total fire ban,” and an additional “47 people have had legal actions for allegedly discarding a lighted cigarette or match on land.”

As to the envior Wackos and built up dead wood, that makes sense, but, I've not seen any reliable objective measures of that like I have for California.

I wonder how many of the alleged "arsonists" were people trying to establish a fire break around their house/property ? ?

Who really wants to prevent any forest fires, environmentalists or timber companies ?

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2013/06...-lobbying/
AQUA - 100% QUEER, 100% TRAITOR, 100% HIV/AIDS!!!
(01-15-2020, 03:00 PM)aqua Wrote: Who really wants to prevent any forest fires, environmentalists or timber companies ?

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2013/06...-lobbying/

Nice article aqua,

makes it VERY CLEAR that only timber companies can prevent the massive forest fires we've been seeing lately.

AS envioro WACKOS continue to be pie in the sky dreamers thinking a few more fire fighting equipment will save things INSTEAD of rational logging industry !