Reminds me of earlier threads I've posted, such as  
  - More from Less
  - Donations don't want used toys anymore
  - We're getting wealthier all the time
  -  Several recycle stories
  - China won't accept recycling garbage anymore
  - ETC

Quote:https://getpocket.com/explore/item/no-on...ket-newtab

For decades, the donation bin has offered consumers in rich countries a guilt-free way to unload their old clothing. In a virtuous and profitable cycle, a global network of traders would collect these garments, grade them, and transport them around the world to be recycled, worn again, or turned into rags and stuffing.

Now that cycle is breaking down. Fashion trends are accelerating, new clothes are becoming as cheap as used ones, and poor countries are turning their backs on the secondhand trade.  this could add up to an environmental disaster

course, I'm sure the DOOMERS here will have a different take on this wonderfully GOOD News!!!
LOL
I have bought some very good quality clothes from charity shops, much cheaper than I could buy new in the cheapest clothes shops. I have a warm winter wool coat, very good quality and new looking with nothing wrong with it, which I bought about five years ago for £15 from an Oxfam shop and I still wear it in winter, sometimes over a padded quilted three quarter length jacket that is good on its own in milder weather that I bought new for £40 in a good quality ordinary shop, Marks and Spencer, over a year ago. The new jacket is probably more for autumn than really cold winter, but keeps the rain out well. The heavy overcoat would have cost hundreds of pounds new.

I also have a few dresses that I got from charity shops in the past few years, some for as little as £2, good brands like Warehouse and Laura Ashley and Whistle, which would have cost the best part of £100 new and have nothing wrong with them. A lot of women must have so much money they buy these dresses, barely wear them and then give them to charity shops. I also have a couple of dresses I paid £2 each for two years ago made by Apricot, which is a mid price range brand, they are fitted, lined, lace dresses that are ok to wear and would have cost about £40 each new.

Cheap new clothes might be ok for teenagers, but if I am buying anything new I expect good quality that will last for years, and I prefer charity shop Laura Ashley to new Primark.

Maybe charity shop clothes are getting cheaper, and better quality, because they are competing with cheap new clothes?
I NEVER PAY RETAIL IF I CAN AVOID IT- ON ANYTHING!
REALITY... IT DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR "TENDER FEELINS"
There is a massive uplift going on in what used to be the 3rd world. We live in wonderful times!
A good 85-90% is from cellphone technology going into these areas.
REALITY... IT DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOUR "TENDER FEELINS"
(01-10-2020, 05:20 PM)silverfish Wrote: I have bought some very good quality clothes from charity shops, much cheaper than I could buy new in the cheapest clothes shops. ..................
Maybe charity shop clothes are getting cheaper, and better quality, because they are competing with cheap new clothes?

My first thought was this was just an anecdote,

but your last sentence probably reflects how charity shops are able to be picky because of the trends
and remember, this is about the masses, not the "elite".

(01-10-2020, 07:36 PM)andrew_o Wrote: There is a massive uplift going on in what used to be the 3rd world. We live in wonderful times!

Yes,
WE might not notice how much more well off we are so much,
but when the old "poor masses" of the world don't want/need out cast off used stuff anymore, that is a GOOD thing!
(related to them recently stop taking our garbage to recycle).

(01-10-2020, 07:51 PM)matlock Wrote: A good 85-90% is from cellphone technology going into these areas.

INTERESTING,
never thought of that being responsible, seems much larger changes, but you could be right!
information IS powerful AND can change everything!