OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK holiday less expensive!
I DSTILL on holiday and have 3 more weeks to go.

The UK has turned out to be nicely affordable because the pound devalued prior.
(07-11-2019, 01:29 PM)andrew_o Wrote: I DSTILL on holiday and have 3 more weeks to go.

The UK has turned out to be nicely affordable because the pound devalued prior.

that is one LONG Holiday!

jealous,

I gotta do something like that soon.

I've been weaning myself off from working very nicely this year!
First the extra time was eaten up by organizing my home and remodeling the restaurant (from a distance administratively),
NOW it seems to be on track to losing the rest of the year to health issues
but next year...............................
I was in London and environs for ten days in late May of this year.

While London is still pricey, the lower GBP helped a lot.

The conversion was essentially 75 Pounds for 100 U.S. Dollars.

I asked the wife and kid if they wanted to do a day trip to Oxford or Bath, where I assured them the shopping was much much cheaper.

Nope, nope, nope - they want to show their friends all the things that "they bought in LONDON".

oly
I’ve been down to the London area twice on this holiday: It’s awfully crowded! Traffic is a nightmare and it’s hard to find someone who speaks English.

By chance I’ve met two born & bred cockneys recently. Both have abandoned the city of their birth because “it’s not London anymore”

Hundreds of thousands of white Londoners have left in the last few years. If they’re not careful they’ll have an English Chicago to contend with.
I met several older cab drivers who were English and Caucasian - native Londoners but who now lived 25 miles out. They were doing well, but rents in central London are now sky-high. We happily had several older drivers who liked to talk. Almost all of these guys had spent some time in the USA when they were younger.

Lots (tons) of Pakis and red-dot Indians. Surprisingly few blacks. No language problems for us.

Lots of Eastern European persons, many in hotel and restaurant work. Many young Eastern European couples in London and its environs.

Vast, vast number of new, tall multi-story buildings since my last visit (2010). I had never heard of the "Nine Elms" area, but it is almost set to eclipse Canary Wharf. The Shard is something else to see too, they might have been starting to clear the site about the time of my last visit.

oly