OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How "sexism" feels from the other side
a friend of mine posted this

My first thought was she is too sensitive or making it up,

but I know her, she was/is sincere.

and it seems SAD in a way, even though I can also say it seems she should lighten up and enjoy the attention in a positive way.
it is easy to see how it could be taken negatively.

anyone ever wonder how they come across to others? as opposed to how we MEAN to come across??

Quote:I would love to grow my hair out or dress however I feel, but where I live doesn't allow that. People try to grab my ass or try to take me home, follow me, treat me like meat, corner me, block the gas station door and question me.I got so much disrespect when I had long hair and wore girly stuff, it's sad that dressing like a guy and kinda looking like one gets 90% respect while girls get 5% rant over.
I always have to wonder about this.

My wife is an attractive woman. How I ended up with her, I will never understand, but that is beside my point.

Now, she has never been grabbed in the behind, never offered to be taken home, been followed, been treated like meat, been cornered, or had her exit blocked and questioned. Zero times. Ever.

She has never varied from "dressing like a girl", and has never felt compelled to dress like a guy to be treated any better.

I have worked in male dominated industries for my entire life so far. I have never witnessed any woman treated in any manner approaching any of this, and would expect any male guilty of doing so of being decked in no time flat.

Not saying that these things don't exist, but what's the deal? Is there none of this in Canada? Are my wife and I just extraordinarily lucky? Or is it that there are a number of conditions and locations where these things are more likely to happen that my wife never frequents - for instance, she has never set foot inside a bar.

Not trying to blame the victim here, but really wondering where all these rampant male chauvinist activities are seen? Is it really so bad? Is it just in pockets? Or is it a rare occurrence that is amplified to advance an agenda?
(07-08-2019, 08:10 PM)brunt Wrote: I always have to wonder about this.

My wife is an attractive woman. How I ended up with her, I will never understand, but that is beside my point.

Now, she has never been grabbed in the behind, never offered to be taken home, been followed, been treated like meat, been cornered, or had her exit blocked and questioned. Zero times. Ever.

She has never varied from "dressing like a girl", and has never felt compelled to dress like a guy to be treated any better.

I have worked in male dominated industries for my entire life so far. I have never witnessed any woman treated in any manner approaching any of this, and would expect any male guilty of doing so of being decked in no time flat.

Not saying that these things don't exist, but what's the deal? Is there none of this in Canada? Are my wife and I just extraordinarily lucky? Or is it that there are a number of conditions and locations where these things are more likely to happen that my wife never frequents - for instance, she has never set foot inside a bar.

Not trying to blame the victim here, but really wondering where all these rampant male chauvinist activities are seen? Is it really so bad? Is it just in pockets? Or is it a rare occurrence that is amplified to advance an agenda?

GREAT Questions.
I'd guess there are many answers.
I think a main part here may be the "psychological effect". (ie, what's inside HER head).
Notice, she didn't say "grabbed" her ass, only "tried to". IF you're scared or have a bad attitude towards men, it may often "Feel" like they want to grab you.
AND if it happens ONCE, some people report that as "all the time".

As someone who had/has social anxiety I can easily see how "treated like meat" means SHE FELT ANXIOUS around them (normally because they looked at her. PERIOD.

as to "blocking the door" etc, YES YOU DO see crowds and doors blocked a lot. the issue here may be YOU know it's normal part of crowded situations. however OTHERs' FEEL a "purposefulness" to it. (they think everything is purposeful, especially if it makes them feel anxious)
The "question me and try to take me home"?
think of what' in another's head, when you ask "how are you" with a smile and eyes that may float to her breast or legs.

BUT PAST all the above, yes,
there ARE places where activity like she mentions are not just imagined but real - even if more minor than she describes it.

and Some things effect it a LOT.
I'm sure your wife is not super small nor gives off an auro of "i'm a victim".?
and locations, like neighborhood or bar, DO effect it.

SOME Females are very small, weak looking and worst of all, ACT LIKE A SCARED TO DEATH VICTIM.
this DOES invite unwanted advance like blood does a shark.

We've all known "pickable" kids at school.

One more point on "psycho effect"
have you ever glanced at a girl far away and have them then, pull down their too short skirt or pull up their too low cut blouse?
I'm behind a one way mirror of my office as I watch crowds in the restaurant all day, I see this type of activity a LOT.
a hint of female insecurity - of which, evil males are guilty simply by what the woman feels in their own head.