OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Los Angeles?
Why would people want to live like this in Los Angeles, when America is huge and there are empty houses all over the place?

You see towns in places like New York State that were once thriving, now with houses boarded up.  I suppose they aren't safe when most people move out and what is left is violent types?  But surely a group of people protecting each other could move into these empty houses and make those towns thrive again?  

Or is it the climate of California that makes people prefer to live there even on the streets?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...dents.html
Why live in Kensington and Chelsea, when you could live in Slough?

oly
(06-02-2019, 01:10 PM)oly2059 Wrote: Why live in Kensington and Chelsea, when you could live in Slough?

oly

Slough is weird, the people are very cold but they try to get too close, it is an odd combination.  It doesn't feel cosmopolitan.  The Thames valley around there is quite nice though, you can walk by the river and be in other places, or get on the train and get away easily, it has very good access to London, Reading and Oxford.  Fantastic thunderstorms in the Thames Valley.  Some of the surrounding area quite nice, the river Thames makes it interesting, but people-wise a horrible vibe.  Still, a proper roof over your head is better than living on the streets.  If there is a group of you moving into an area together, you can make a protective enclave anyway, and change the people vibe.
(06-02-2019, 11:15 AM)silverfish Wrote: Why would people want to live like this in Los Angeles, when America is huge and there are empty houses all over the place?

You see towns in places like New York State that were once thriving, now with houses boarded up.  I suppose they aren't safe when most people move out and what is left is violent types?  But surely a group of people protecting each other could move into these empty houses and make those towns thrive again?  

Or is it the climate of California that makes people prefer to live there even on the streets?

SIMPLE ANSWER:
people HATE change (ie moving) they stay where they are or were born or ended up for any reason.
Oly had a good answer, There are always much better places, but nobody wants to (or can) bother. - or knows nor believes it.
Just plain human nature

COMPLICATED ANSWER:
a million factors we can't get into here.
BUT from my personal experience the greatest other factor is GOVERNMENT stupidity and evilness.
I know full well I can build or rebuild GOOD places for these low income, undesirable, SINGLE people to live very cheaply.
Problem is it's ILLEGAL everywhere in the USA. (good intentioned people used the power of Govt to outlaw "those people" living near "us good people" thru fanatical wacko zoning and building and outrageous utility requirements - not to mention the new SHOCKING EVIL wave of laws that prohibit many FORMER FELONS from living in certain areas - SIMPLY by virtue of they LIFETIME past history of having committed a crime ((even as a 13 year old JUVENILE)) ).

that said, WHERE THE HELL do you EXPECT them to LIVE??
(sad answer: many do not want them to live, PERIOD)

and do I sound passionate on this issue??????????

YES, that happens when personally involved
People are herd animals and fad followers.

Melbourne has been declared "world's most liveable city" many times. I don't get it.

We lived in an apartment for a year in Melbourne, in a very sought after location. Just didn't do anything for me. Mainly because "going out" in Melbourne costs lots of money and I would rather have my large home space where I can play my musical instruments or tinker in my garage.

I lived in London for a while in the 80's and other than some fun outings with workmates (mainly Americans from Ohio), I was happy to go home to Northern England.

Just don't like big cities but I'm not scared of moving. Been all over the world for work and I enjoyed my time in Northern California and I like some of the smaller states (have friends in Utah and apart from the weather, great lifestyle).

Just got back from Japan and Tokyo works as a big city but not for me, thanks.
We had frost in areas this morning.

Does Los Angeles ever have cold weather in June ?

But at least it isn't raining.

[Image: 26e2e40ca00e2a5adddecb19c3d4cdf6.jpg]
(06-02-2019, 11:15 AM)silverfish Wrote: Why would people want to live like this in Los Angeles, when America is huge and there are empty houses all over the place?

Southern California does have a unique climate:  dry (desert) but kept reasonably cool and a bit moist because of the cold current washing down the coast from the arctic.  Once you get 10-15 miles inland, the cooling and moisture effects disappear, and it's barren and 120F (50C) every day for months on end in summer.  So this narrow strip is a place where it's never cold or horribly hot, and almost never rains.

With places like upstate New York, you have a couple of issues:
1.  Jobs have left.  Things remaining are scarce and competitive, or pay minimum wage (like working in a donut shop)
2.  Local governments in the US have long financed themselves with taxes on real estate.  As tax from business declines, these real estate taxes become even more important.  Declining property values vs. increasing taxes makes real estate ownership there undesirable.  Owners stop investing in the properties, or even abandon them, when they have to pay several percent of the property value each year in taxes.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
(06-03-2019, 07:42 PM)Herring Wrote: ................

Declining property values vs. increasing taxes makes real estate ownership there undesirable.  Owners stop investing in the properties, or even abandon them,

around here we do not call it "abandon" we call it "SOLD to the State".

super common in Michigan,
remember the Landlords meet in my place daily,
once a tenant moves out they evaluate the cost to repair vs the price the State is offering them (ie taxes)

when they have to pay several percent of the property value each year in taxes.

around here it is NOT "several percent of"  it is "several TIMES THE VALUE OF".
Ever since 2008 homes sell quite commonly for LESS than ONE years property taxes
not so much lately, but still happens

I remember in the old days when some homes sold, it was "just take over payments and it's yours!"
NOW it's "just catch up the taxes and it's yours".  
It Never Rains In Southern California (1973) 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmq4WIjQxp0
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
this is ANOTHER problem that stems from ILLEGALs , everyone of those "nice hard working people" need a place to stay, every SINGLE TIME you allow one of them in you take away one more rental from a legal citizen, And after 25 years of the invasion, this is what you get, illegals pushing legal citizens on to the street.

the other cause of this is the intentional red tape government bureaucracy at local levels related to building permits and just over all controlling building as they do...