OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweden - falling apart at the seams
Sweden’s violent reality is undoing a peaceful self-image

STOCKHOLM — Sweden may be known for its popular music, IKEA and a generous welfare state. It is also increasingly associated with a rising number of Islamic State recruits, bombings and hand grenade attacks.
In a period of two weeks earlier this year, five explosions took place in the country. It’s not unusual these days — Swedes have grown accustomed to headlines of violent crime, witness intimidation and gangland executions. In a country long renowned for its safety, voters cite “law and order” as the most important issue ahead of the general election in September.

[watch for the backlash to multiculturalism in the election]
The topic of crime is sensitive, however, and debate about the issue in the consensus-oriented Scandinavian society is restricted by taboos.
To understand crime in Sweden, it’s important to note that Sweden has benefited from the West’s broad decline in deadly violence, particularly when it comes to spontaneous violence and alcohol-related killings. The overall drop in homicides has been, however, far smaller in Sweden than in neighboring countries.

Gang-related gun murders, now mainly a phenomenon among men with immigrant backgrounds in the country’s parallel societies, increased from 4 per year in the early 1990s to around 40 last year. Because of this, Sweden has gone from being a low-crime country to having homicide rates significantly above the Western European average. Social unrest, with car torchings, attacks on first responders and even riots, is a recurring phenomenon.

Shootings in the country have become so common that they don’t make top headlines anymore, unless they are spectacular or lead to fatalities. News of attacks are quickly replaced with headlines about sports events and celebrities, as readers have become desensitized to the violence. A generation ago, bombings against the police and riots were extremely rare events. Today, reading about such incidents is considered part of daily life.
The rising levels of violence have not gone unnoticed by Sweden’s Scandinavian neighbors. Norwegians commonly use the phrase “Swedish conditions” to describe crime and social unrest. The view from Denmark was made clear when former President of NATO and Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen said in an interview on Swedish TV: “I often use Sweden as a deterring example.”
https://www.politico.eu/article/sweden-bombings-grenade-attacks-violent-reality-undoing-peaceful-self-image-law-and-order/
I do not think this is true. Over blown and magnified on right wing media. Talk to the average Swede and they will say the immigration effect is over blown.
Oh, when were you last over there?

The numbers:

[Image: ECdCp.png]
(05-24-2018, 05:58 AM)andrew_o Wrote: Oh, when were you last over there?

The numbers:

[Image: ECdCp.png]

I am currently in Sweden  right now typing this response. In fact, I just took a train from Stockholm, and have barely encountered an immigrant. Everything seems incredibly peaceful.

Ha, if only life was so simple .

I just call bullshit. So you are telling me that since 1995, Sweden has had a higher violent crime rate than the USA? The immigrant wave didn't start until 2014, so what is the source of this up tick?

Yesterday someone posted a chart of gun violence which had the US in the top 25, yet Sweden was nowhere to be found. I am starting to think that there lies and then there are statistics.
Agree with tdog. Those numbers aren't even close. Here is Sweden from Wikipedia.

[Image: Sweden-crime-1976-2016-robbery-sex-murder.svg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Sweden

The sum for 1976 is under 100 on the above chart, and over 400 on Andrew's chart.

(05-24-2018, 10:19 AM)tdogg Wrote: I am currently in Sweden  right now typing this response. In fact, I just took a train from Stockholm, and have barely encountered an immigrant. Everything seems incredibly peaceful.

I would point out that impressions don't always relate to reality. If, for example, fatal auto accidents in the US (already very high) were to double over the course of 5 years or so, it would hardly be noticed by most people unless the media made a big deal of it. The people living in or very near the areas dense with migrants are the ones affected most, and they are definitely noticing and complaining about it. I seriously doubt you have spent much time in those areas.

What should be obvious is that the crime rate in migrant communities is far higher than in other areas of Sweden, and that burden is being imposed on the people already living in those areas.
I think those charts say the same thing, albeit with slightly different definitions and different vertical axes.

They both say that violent crime in Sweden is massively on the rise, whereas in the US it has been on the decline for decades.

(05-24-2018, 12:14 PM)mason Wrote: Agree with tdog. Those numbers aren't even close. Here is Sweden from Wikipedia.

[Image: Sweden-crime-1976-2016-robbery-sex-murder.svg]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Sweden

The sum for 1976 is under 100 on the above chart, and over 400 on Andrew's chart.

(05-24-2018, 10:19 AM)tdogg Wrote: I am currently in Sweden  right now typing this response. In fact, I just took a train from Stockholm, and have barely encountered an immigrant. Everything seems incredibly peaceful.

I would point out that impressions don't always relate to reality. If, for example, fatal auto accidents in the US (already very high) were to double over the course of 5 years or so, it would hardly be noticed by most people unless the media made a big deal of it. The people living in or very near the areas dense with migrants are the ones affected most, and they are definitely noticing and complaining about it. I seriously doubt you have spent much time in those areas.

What should be obvious is that the crime rate in migrant communities is far higher than in other areas of Sweden, and that burden is being imposed on the people already living in those areas.

Tdogg needs to drive around Malmo and then get back to us  ;-)