OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap drugs
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/...pay-for-it

President Donald Trump wants to build a drug cartel – and wants NZ to pay
Accusing other countries of "freeloading", US President Donald Trump has announced plans to make countries like New Zealand pay more for drugs.

Speaking at the White House this weekend, Trump accused foreign countries of extorting  "unreasonably low prices from US drug makers" and forcing Americans to pay more to subsidise the research and development costs. 

"America will not be cheated any longer, and especially will not be cheated by foreign countries," Trump said. "It's time to end the global freeloading once and for all." Trump had directed his trade representative Bob Lighthizer to "make fixing this injustice a top priority with every trading partner" by negotiating with other countries to pay more.
New Zealand, like the UK and Australia, has a national agency that negotiates with pharmaceutical companies to bulk-buy drugs. That agency, Pharmac, has successfully managed down prices by playing one drug company off against another.
Trump says such tactics are "bullying"; New Zealand experts like former Pharmac medical director Dr Peter Moodie suggest the drug companies are just lining their pockets.

Seems he doesn't like negotiating when someone else has the power ;-)
I get way better prices for US made medicines in Romania than in the US, and they never ask for a prescription. Never tried NZ. Me thinks if everyone else pays more for US drugs in relative prices, so will the US consumers in absolute prices. I bet I still get a better deal from Romania than from Walgreen's.
Just shows that an economic system (Capitalism) based on greed, which is one of the worst of the human emotions, can not possibly produce any good. 

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

When Americans buy drugs in the United States, they really buy a package of advertising, marketing, and political influence-peddling. Consumers in other nations don’t pay these costs. Which explains a big part of why drug prices are lower abroad.

Having foreign countries, like New Zealand, relax their regulations will not reduce drug prices in the USA.  It will only increase the profits for drug companies.
(05-13-2018, 05:41 AM)ModestProposals Wrote: Just shows that an economic system (Capitalism) based on greed, which is one of the worst of the human emotions, can not possibly produce any good. 

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Without the capitalists you couldn't get the drugs at any price, since no one else would make them.
(05-13-2018, 01:15 PM)aqua Wrote: When Americans buy drugs in the United States, they really buy a package of advertising, marketing, and political influence-peddling. Consumers in other nations don’t pay these costs. Which explains a big part of why drug prices are lower abroad.

Having foreign countries, like New Zealand, relax their regulations will not reduce drug prices in the USA.  It will only increase the profits for drug companies.

See how well you do when you actually write a comment!   Big Grin

We don't need to "relax regulations" because there are none.

The issue is that NZ and Aussie have national bulk buying organisations that negotiate hard to reduce the price of drugs for their citizens. The result is that we pay a fraction that you do for drugs. 

But big pharma business in the USA doesn't like this. And big pharma business contributes heavily to campaign funds of NEARLY ALL your politicians, regardless of political belief.

In the USA your medical providers have to pay an outrageous list price for drugs BY LAW. Same as medical providers may not operate across state borders. So you have created a insurer monopoly in each state and a cartel for drugs supply. Nice going America! You may also not use cheaper generics, because well, that would be cheating.  Undecided

They did their absolute best to shut down our national bulk buying organizations during the recent Pacific trade talks. This was a sticking point that dragged the negotiations out for years. But we wouldn't back down. In the end the deal went ahead minus the USA, so now the USA finds itself locked out of one of the worlds biggest trading blocks and STILL can't stop us negotiating drug prices.

Too funny!
(05-13-2018, 09:44 PM)andrew_o Wrote:
(05-13-2018, 01:15 PM)aqua Wrote: When Americans buy drugs in the United States, they really buy a package of advertising, marketing, and political influence-peddling. Consumers in other nations don’t pay these costs. Which explains a big part of why drug prices are lower abroad.

Actually there are regulations.   They just are not as onerous as here in the states.  

The United States and New Zealand are the only two countries where direct-to-consumer (DTC) advertising of prescription drugs is legal.Dec 11, 2017

The issue is that NZ and Aussie have national bulk buying organisations that negotiate hard to reduce the price of drugs for their citizens. The result is that we pay a fraction that you do for drugs. 

But big pharma business in the USA doesn't like this. And big pharma business contributes heavily to campaign funds of NEARLY ALL your politicians, regardless of political belief.

yup.  Special Interests here (like Big Pharma) are the government.  Your hero Trumpy-poo is doing their bidding.

In the USA your medical providers have to pay an outrageous list price for drugs BY LAW. Same as medical providers may not operate across state borders. So you have created a insurer monopoly in each state and a cartel for drugs supply. Nice going America! You may also not use cheaper generics, because well, that would be cheating.  Undecided

Who told you medical providers can't operate across state lines?  There are nationwide Hospital chains here.
(05-14-2018, 01:45 PM)aqua Wrote:
(05-13-2018, 09:44 PM)andrew_o Wrote:

Actually there are regulations.   They just are not as onerous as here in the states.  

The United States and New Zealand are the only two countries where direct-to-consumer (DTC) advertising of prescription drugs is legal.Dec 11, 2017

I really don't know about this. It's been years since I've seen an ad - any ad. I record everything I watch

yup.  Special Interests here (like Big Pharma) are the government.  Your hero Trumpy-poo is doing their bidding.

They ALL do their bidding. If anything Trump a little less so. Obama was totally in their pocket, as shown by his Obamacare scam.

Who told you medical providers can't operate across state lines?  There are nationwide Hospital chains here.

Not providers, insurers

No medical scheme is perfect but ours is pretty good. All citizens get:

100% of accident cover. All medical expenses are covered. There is a table of payments for permanent disability

100% of urgent/emergency procedures.

Elective surgery for which there is a queue - which isn't that long. You have the option of going private too and it's fairly inexpensive by US standards

I pay $45 for a visit to a GP 

Prescriptions cost me (I think) $10 surcharge but the medicine itself is free

Nobody can sue anyone for accidents or injuries or medical mishaps. So the lawyers get zero in all this.
(05-14-2018, 11:48 PM)andre_o Wrote: [quote pid='13035' dateline='1526305536']
[quote pid='13021' dateline='1526247848']

Not providers, insurers

Sorry Andy, but you're wrong.

Insurance companies like United Health, Aetna, Anthem, and Humana do operate across state lines.

Even the little piddly HMO insurance company I signed up with, I can use anywhere in the USA.