OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good News Comrades! Only 22% of American College Students Are Starving!
College students have a reputation for subsisting on dining hall swipes and ramen noodles, but a new study adds to the growing body of evidence that, for some students, staying full in school is more of a challenge than a joke.

Nearly half of college students experience “food insecurity” or struggle to access enough affordable nutritious food, according to a study released Wednesday by a coalition of campus-based groups focused on hunger at colleges. That includes 22% of students who experienced such low levels of food insecurity in the 30 days prior to the survey period that they qualify as hungry. The findings are based on a survey of more than 3,700 students attending 26 four-year colleges and eight community colleges in 12 states.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/you-may...teid=nwhpf
(10-16-2016, 09:52 AM)ModestProposals Wrote: College students have a reputation for subsisting on dining hall swipes and ramen noodles, but a new study adds to the growing body of evidence that, for some students, staying full in school is more of a challenge than a joke.

Nearly half of college students experience “food insecurity” or struggle to access enough affordable nutritious food, according to a study released Wednesday by a coalition of campus-based groups focused on hunger at colleges. That includes 22% of students who experienced such low levels of food insecurity in the 30 days prior to the survey period that they qualify as hungry. The findings are based on a survey of more than 3,700 students attending 26 four-year colleges and eight community colleges in 12 states.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/you-may...teid=nwhpf

The JOKE is more like, many of us, life in college towns, SEE many college kids on a regular basis and see with our own two eyes that they are mostly FAT, and NONE are excessively skinny.

but I am noticing that they are changing WORDS in this reporting,
the same way Global warming people changed to Climate CHANGE,
the "kids are hungry" group got so tired of being LAUGHED at that they're changing from
"the kids are hungry" to "they can't afford proper nutrition"

because we all KNOW how super smart college kids are when it comes to nutrition etc
truth is the best food is FREE and anyone can grow it
It's just another BS 'crisis' invented by media to try and sell us their shit.

There has never been so much food per capita and it has never been as inexpensive or more healthy
(10-17-2016, 03:13 AM)andrew_o Wrote: It's just another BS 'crisis' invented by media to try and sell us their shit.

There has never been so much food per capita and it has never been as inexpensive or more healthy

Cognitive_dissonance

Cognitive dissonance theory is founded on the assumption that individuals seek consistency between their expectations and their reality. Because of this, people engage in a process called "dissonance reduction" to bring their cognitions and actions in line with one another. This creation of uniformity allows for a lessening of psychological tension and distress. According to Festinger, dissonance reduction can be achieved in four ways.[1] In an example case where a person has adopted the attitude that they will no longer eat high fat food, but eats a high-fat doughnut, the four methods of reduction are:
* Ignore or deny any information that conflicts with existing beliefs ("This doughnut is not high in fat")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

This is closely related to:

Confirmation bias

Confirmation biases contribute to overconfidence in personal beliefs and can maintain or strengthen beliefs in the face of contrary evidence. Poor decisions due to these biases have been found in political and organizational contexts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

While it is true that there never been so much food per capita globally and while it is true that food has never been more inexpensive for Americans that does not change the fact that  22% of American college students do either not have the necessary income or receive enough financial aid to avoid going hungry much of the time (e.g. starving) while they are in college.

By the way, this problem could be solved easily. 

Right now, American college students are prohibited from receiving SNAP (e.g. food stamps) benefits.  By changing the law so that financially eligible college students could receive SNAP benefits (e.g. food stamps) while they are enrolled in college and during their summer break, the problem would be greatly reduced (although not totally eliminated).

Also, mandatory education in a "red/black beans and brown rice" diet for those receiving SNAP (e.g. food stamps) benefits would also help.
Rice and beans are easily available for very low cost in US stores. Assuming that the student has access to a sink, hot plate and some utensils, keeping fed should not be difficult.
A daily multivitamin should help keep away any malnutrition-related issues, even if no fresh fruit/veggies can be had. But I really doubt many American college students are actually in such a bad position financially. They simply choose to spend their money in other ways.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
As I mentioned on the old board when the same (or similar) report was listed there, it all depends on your definitions, and when the group making the definitions has something to gain by pushing the results one way or the other, then it is time to get suspicious.

The link to the original report is this (http://studentsagainsthunger.org/hunger-on-campus/). On the bottom of page 14, a footnote has a link to the US Department of Agriculture's "Definitions of Food Insecurity" document (http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutr...urity.aspx).

As Dave always says, definitions are important. If somebody is classified as being "food insecure", then it is equally important to know what this really means. Of course, such minutia are uninteresting in hard hitting pieces, but hey, I like to know what they are really talking about.

By their very own definitions, there are two levels of food insecurity:
Quote:
  • Low food security (old label=Food insecurity without hunger): reports of reduced quality, variety, or desirability of diet. Little or no indication of reduced food intake.
  • Very low food security (old label=Food insecurity with hunger): Reports of multiple indications of disrupted eating patterns and reduced food intake.

Note the "low food security". Pretty well 100% of students that I knew when I was going through my 11 years of university could claim this 100% of the time. Note too the "little or no indication of reduced food intake", as in plenty to eat, just not liking what they eat. That's not food insecure, that is pickiness or just plain lack of time and/or desire to buy the foods that they think that they would have liked.

I would also point out that a lot of relatively expensive food is "of reduce quality, variety or desirability". More money will not fix that.

Note too the characteristics of the "food insecure":
[Image: adult_ers.png&width=450]
Not a single week went by in a term where I did not have to miss a meal due to classes, or out of class work. I would have a couple days per term where I did not eat the entire day. That is, due to time constraints, not something that you can solve just by throwing more money at students. And being an 18 year old male, there was not a day that I thought that I had enough to eat.

As with all of these bleeding heart articles, there are genuine problems - been there, done that myself. But they entirely discredit the entire problem by moving the line and crying "starvation" for people who are simply bored with what they are eating - even if they admit that there are sufficient quantities of it.
Quote:fact that  22% of American college students do either not have the necessary income or receive enough financial aid to avoid going hungry

I'm sorry DR,

but that REALLY takes a special kind of STUPID thinking to believe that bull crap

you saying we're BLIND????????????
WE SEE THESE FAT KIDS and KNOW MANY COLLEGE KIDS, sheeeessssshhhhhh

what world do you live in?
(10-17-2016, 05:49 PM)Herring Wrote: Rice and beans are easily available for very low cost in US stores.  Assuming that the student has access to a sink, hot plate and some utensils, keeping fed should not be difficult.
A daily multivitamin should help keep away any malnutrition-related issues, even if no fresh fruit/veggies can be had.  But I really doubt many American college students are actually in such a bad position financially.  They simply choose to spend their money in other ways.
Herring, if you are living in a car or are homeless, access to a hot plate is difficult.

http://www.shtfliving.com/livingincar.html

http://www.shtfliving.com/homeless.html
Plenty of money for beer though... ;-)
(10-18-2016, 08:38 AM)andrew_o Wrote: Plenty of money for beer though... ;-)

Some prefer to drink their meals.