OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Landless Americans Are the New Serf Class
(04-21-2018, 01:32 PM)aqua Wrote: [Image: flintwater.jpg]

I always LAUGH when I see those cartoons blaming some supposed LACK of regulation or privatization etc.

UNLIKE many American water systems
most all of which meet standards AND
most of which are above average water quality

the City of FLINTS owns 100% of it's system and IT BUILT IT, has always owned it
and always had full control of it - there's never been in inkling of privatization about it

we could argue all day about the causes, but lack of regulation would always be LAST in the list
the main culprits are clearly the many layers of REGULATIONs
EACH of Which (State, CITY and FEDERAL) ALL LIED and HID info to make this happen.

UNLIKE Government owned/run agencies, a PRIVATE one would have had several SEPARATE overseers
and not had the power to threaten prison and police to whistle blowers who did not comply.

I know YOU think money is more powerful than GUNS and PRISON, but you're just plain wrong.
Good post Dave
(04-08-2018, 03:00 AM)andrew_o Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 08:29 PM)cbeatty Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 04:56 AM)andrew_o Wrote: It's a free market - clearly some people are buying homes. If they're investors intending to become landlords then good on them! They provide an essential service.

What service is that? expansion of the rentier class? what would happen absent those investor/landlords? what essential service would disappear? would there be no housing?

They provide housing. If landlords weren't in that business existing houses would become uninhabitable shells and new housing would not be built.

I could build my own house, or buy a trailer home and park it on land I buy cheaply.  But the combination of zoning codes and high land prices caused by the rentier class make that difficult for most.
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
(04-24-2018, 09:37 PM)Herring Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 03:00 AM)andrew_o Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 08:29 PM)cbeatty Wrote:
(04-05-2018, 04:56 AM)andrew_o Wrote: It's a free market - clearly some people are buying homes. If they're investors intending to become landlords then good on them! They provide an essential service.

What service is that? expansion of the rentier class? what would happen absent those investor/landlords? what essential service would disappear? would there be no housing?

They provide housing. If landlords weren't in that business existing houses would become uninhabitable shells and new housing would not be built.

I could build my own house, or buy a trailer home and park it on land I buy cheaply.  But the combination of zoning codes and high land prices caused by the rentier class make that difficult for most.

The supply and demand of accommodation is unaffected by who owns the property.

Grey Nomads here and in Aussie:

http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/
(04-22-2018, 03:08 AM)andrew_o Wrote: Good post Dave

LOL.  Shy

Dave's post completely ignores the Libertarian Republicans who were running Flint from Lansing for years.

https://static.politico.com/dims4/defaul...-group.jpg

State to consider giving some city
control back to Flint officials today

Posted Jan 10, 2018

"FLINT, MI - The state will consider returning some day-to-day financial decision-making to
Flint city officials for the first time in years.

At a meeting set for Wednesday, Jan. 10, in Lansing, the Receivership Transition Advisory
Board (RTAB) - Flint's state-appointed financial oversight board - will discuss repealing
 an order mandating that the state review all decisions made by city government, according to a meeting agenda.

If Emergency Manager Order No. 20 - established by former Flint Emergency Manager Jerry Ambrose
 in his final days with the city - is repealed, resolutions approved by both the mayor and City Council
will not need the state board's OK before going into effect, according to the agenda...."

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2...-group.jpg]
(04-26-2018, 06:22 AM)andrew_o Wrote: The supply and demand of accommodation is unaffected by who owns the property.

This is in the running for stupidest post of the year. Who believes this?

(04-20-2018, 03:32 AM)cbeatty Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 04:15 PM)DaveGillie Wrote: problem is cbeatty, what seems obvious to YOU, we see the OPPOSITE as obvious!

incidentally Dave, what kind of a rental property makes sense in your area? what are the expected valuations and return metrics? Gross Rental Multiple to purchase, Capitalization Rate, Cash on Cash Return, Price per unit, etc.?

simple questions Dave! answer them, or is this proprietary information that you need to keep secret?