OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.N. official visiting America to investigate 'great poverty and inequality'
A United Nations official arrives in Alabama this week to investigate poverty, inequality and "barriers to political participation" in the state.
Philip Alston, UN Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, will visit Alabama on Thursday and Friday as part of a 15-day tour of the U.S. that also includes stops in California, West Virginia, Puerto Rico, Atlanta and Washington, D.C.

"Some might ask why a UN Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights would visit a country as rich as the United States. But despite great wealth in the US, there also exists great poverty and inequality," Alston said in a statement.

Alston will spend Thursday in Lowndes County, where he will be looking at issues like health care, access to clean and safe drinking water, and sanitation.

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/12...river_home

This guy officially visits 3rd world countries.  Seems he thinks parts of America are 3rd world.
A United Nations official investigating poverty in the United States was shocked at the level of environmental degradation in some areas of rural Alabama, saying he had never seen anything like it in the developed world.

"I think it's very uncommon in the First World. This is not a sight that one normally sees. I'd have to say that I haven't seen this," Philip Alston, the U.N.'s Special Rapporteur on extreme poverty and human rights, told Connor Sheets of AL.com earlier this week as they toured a community in Butler County where raw sewage flows from homes through exposed PVC pipes and into open trenches and pits.

The tour through Alabama's rural communities is part of a two-week investigation by the U.N. on poverty and human rights abuses in the United States. So far, U.N. investigators have visited cities and towns in California and Alabama, and will soon travel to Puerto Rico, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia.

http://www.newsweek.com/alabama-un-pover...ism-743601

Quote:The rest of the world has this image that America is some type of magic place. They lump us in with developed nations but we are really just a third world country. We can't afford the standard of living the Europeans seem to have.
"Investigate"  lol!  What is he going to fine/shame us into prosperity?
(12-11-2017, 05:36 PM)StingingNettle Wrote: "Investigate"  lol!  What is he going to fine/shame us into prosperity?

Since he is an investigator for the U.N. of human rights, I think he is going to try and get the U.N. to censure the U.S. for human right violations.

This could include trade embargos on the whole country or just on selected leaders, just like the U.N. has done for Venezuela.

Mainland China has always been saying that America is a huge human right violator because of the way America treats minorities, particularly blacks. 

That's not hard to understand.  In browsing free speech anarchist forums, I find that American blacks are universally condemned and dispised.
My skepticism isn't around the type of people that are poor. Just around some far removed UN jack ass thinking he's going to fix everything.
(12-11-2017, 10:48 PM)StingingNettle Wrote: My skepticism isn't around the type of people that are poor.  Just around some far removed UN jack ass thinking he's going to fix everything.

I forget who said it, but the first step in solving a problem is recognizing that the problem exists.

This guy is aware that nationally, the problems he is finding in selected parts of American aren't known, so he seeks to make Americans and American leadership aware that these serious problems exist.  That's all he can hope to do.  It's up to the U.N. General Assembly to impose sanctions on America or American leadership.  Hopefully, U.N. sanctions won't be necessary, and American leadership will step up and address these problems.

I doubt it though. The American elite has shown that they don't care about any Americans other than themselves and maybe their families.

Remember the current  slogan of American leadership:  "I got mine, fuck you if you don't have yours."