OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why the world is full of overconfident, bumbling know-it-alls
Why it’s essential to both know what you don’t know and how you know what you do know

[Image: MW-FU606_einste_20170919131405_ZQ.jpg?uu...8e992d421e] MarketWatch photo i

The ‘knowledge illusion’ is worse than a mere failure to know what we don’t know; it’s not realizing how we know what we do know.
Whenever I crack under questioning, when the only answers I can muster are tortured strings of wells, ums and you sees, my interrogators like to make me squirm for 30 seconds or so before finally putting me out of my misery.

“Daddy, just Google it.”

You try satisfying my 9-year-old boys’ boundless curiosity about “What causes hurricanes?” or “Why is there war in Syria?” or “How come farts smell?” without eventually being told to seek digital assistance.

Unlike the other million ways my kids insult my intelligence, I’m grateful when they send me to search engines in shame. By forcing me to own up to the limits of what I understand about the universe, they help me, for at least a few fleeting moments of humility, to overcome one of the human mind’s most persistent and destructive biases, what psychologists call “the illusion of explanatory depth.”

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-fl...teid=nwhpf
EVERYONE RISES TO THE HIGHT OF THIER PERSONAL IGNORENCE... AND MOST ARE EDUCATED BEYONE THIER BASE INTELLIGENCE.
THIS OFTEN LEADS TO THE POINT OF EPIC FAILURE.
(12-20-2017, 04:06 AM)matlock Wrote: EVERYONE RISES TO THE HIGHT OF THIER PERSONAL IGNORENCE... AND MOST ARE EDUCATED BEYONE THIER BASE INTELLIGENCE.
THIS OFTEN LEADS TO THE POINT OF EPIC FAILURE.

Mattie, you've been in our thoughts from time to time. Big Grin 

[Image: Herblockish2-998x700.jpg]

http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons...17_low.jpg
WE WAS HIGH N DRY UP HERE, BUT FROM NACADOCHES SOUTH TO THE COAST, THEY GOT A UNGODLY FLOODING. I SENT ALL BUT THE BARE MINIMUM TO COVER HERE DOWN SOUTH TO HELP OUT...
(01-04-2018, 04:53 PM)matlock Wrote: WE WAS HIGH N DRY UP HERE, BUT FROM NACADOCHES SOUTH TO THE COAST, THEY GOT A UNGODLY FLOODING. I SENT ALL BUT THE BARE MINIMUM TO COVER HERE DOWN SOUTH TO HELP OUT...
Good.

Glad no one had to rescue you.

[Image: RogerR20130917_low.jpg]
Quote:Historical antecedents
Although the Dunning–Kruger effect was formulated in 1999, the cognitive bias that is illusory superiority has been known throughout history and identified by intellectuals, such as:

*the philosopher Confucius (551–479 BC), who said, "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"[4]
*the philosopher Socrates (470–399 BC), who interpreted a prophecy from the Delphic oracle that he was wise despite feeling that he did not fully understand anything, as the wisdom of being aware that he knew nothing
*the playwright William Shakespeare (1564–1616), who said, "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool" (As You Like It, V. i.)[15]
*the naturalist Charles Darwin (1809–1882), who said, "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge"[1]
*the poet W. B. Yeats (1865–1939), who, in the poem "The Second Coming", said: "The best lack all conviction, while the worst / Are full of passionate intensity."[12]
*the philosopher and mathematician Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), who said, "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision."[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2...ger_effect
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
Good thing the country has that stable genius working for it.

[Image: geniustoon01.jpg?w=620]

[Image: 09chappatte-master768.jpg]