{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor Climate Science At NASA
Shady and unjustified alterations of data such as several described in the article excerpted and linked below are one of several reasons that I don't accept the theories of the anthropogenic global warming alarmists. I know the climate warms at time and cools at other times, but I am not convinced that human made carbon dioxide is a major factor.

Quote:Spectacularly Poor Climate Science At NASA
Dr. James Hansen of NASA, has been the world’s leading promoter of the idea that the world is headed towards “climate disaster.” There is little evidence to back this up.
In 2008, Hansen wrote about “stabilizing” the climate :
Quote:Stabilizing atmospheric CO2 and climate requires that net CO2 emissions approach zero, because of the long lifetime of CO2
arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0804/0804.1126.pdf
Yet in 1999, he made it quite clear that past climate was not stable, and that there was little evidence to support that idea that the climate was becoming unstable.
Quote:Empirical evidence does not lend much support to the notion that climate is headed precipitately toward more extreme heat and drought. The drought of 1999 covered a smaller area than the 1988 drought, when the Mississippi almost dried up. And 1988 was a temporary inconvenience as compared with repeated droughts during the 1930s “Dust Bowl” that caused an exodus from the prairies, as chronicled in Steinbeck’s Grapes of Wrath.
NASA GISS: Science Briefs: Whither U.S. Climate?
In that same 1999 report, he showed that US temperatures peaked in 1934, and declined through the rest of the century.

[Image: screenhunter_458-apr-14-07-01-1.jpg?w=640&h=457]
In 1989, NOAA and the UK’s leading expert agreed with Hansen that US had not warmed.
Quote:February 04, 1989
Last week, scientists from the United States Commerce Department’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said that a study of temperature readings for the contiguous 48 states over the last century showed there had been no significant change in average temperature over that period.
Dr. (Phil) Jones said in a telephone interview today that his own results for the 48 states agreed with those findings.
Global Warmth In ’88 Is Found To Set a Record – New York Times
But in the year 2000, NASA and NOAA altered the historical US temperature record, which now shows that there was about one degree centigrade US warming during the century before 1989.

[Image: paintimage4540-1.jpg?w=640]
The animated image below shows the changes which Dr. Hansen made to the historical US temperature record after the year 1999. He cooled the 1930s, and warmed the 1980s and 1990s. The year 1998 went from being more than half a degree cooler than 1934, to warmer than 1934.
Article including charts and GIFs may be found at:
https://stevengoddard.wordpress.com/spec...e-at-nasa/
I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having it's motives questioned.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Putting the data aside for a moment, consider this simple, clear logic:

1. Climate varied before widespread industrialization.

2. So there must be natural factors that caused this variation.

3. Those natural factors haven't gone away.

4. So the current variation is a combination of natural factors and human induced factors

So how much is natural and how much is human induced?

Nobody knows!

If you pin a warmist in a corner using this logic, they get really upset!  :-)
(10-01-2016, 08:55 PM)andrew_o Wrote: Putting the data aside for a moment, consider this simple, clear logic:

1. Climate varied before widespread industrialization.

2. So there must be natural factors that caused this variation.

3. Those natural factors haven't gone away.

4. So the current variation is a combination of natural factors and human induced factors

So how much is natural and how much is human induced?

Nobody knows!

If you pin a warmist in a corner using this logic, they get really upset!  :-)

There are many factors that affect the climate, including human action.

The people who are upset are those invested in fossil fuel reliant corporations.
She's gonna blow!
Very well stated, Andrewo. I don't pretend to know the answer to that question, but I am very suspicious of any theory which has totally failed in their long range predictions and whose proponents feel compelled to use falsified data to support their cause.
I dream of an America where a chicken can cross the road without having it's motives questioned.