OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More than 1 in 8 Americans now alcoholics
(08-13-2017, 08:08 AM)ModestProposals Wrote: Health Buzz: Americans Are Drinking a Lot – and It's Scaring Researchers

And it's not just the study authors who are concerned.

"This should be a big wake-up call," David Jernigan, director of the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, told Bloomberg. "Alcohol is our number one drug problem, and it's not just a problem among kids." He was not a part of the research.

Why is this happening in the first place? There isn't one root cause, Bloomberg reports. Researchers suggest economic stress post-Great Recession could play a role, in addition to the improved accessibility of alcohol at retailers and restaurants and weakened alcohol tax impact. Today, alcohol is cheaper than it's ever been since at least 1950 in relation to average income.

http://health.usnews.com/wellness/health...esearchers

Since InBev took over Anheuser-Busch, name-brand canned lager beers have clearly fallen in price here in Illinois.

There are all kinds of stories/rumors/gossip about how they take production short-cuts in STL that would never have been tolerated earlier.

oly
(08-09-2017, 11:04 PM)ModestProposals Wrote:
(08-09-2017, 10:32 PM)oly2059 Wrote: I'll drink to that!!!

I think that 1 in 8 persons is too low, but it depends on where you draw the line.  I know lots of functioning alcoholics.

Today, the medical fraternity shakes their head disapprovingly at a # of drinks per week that they didn't even comment on twenty years ago.

We are treated like sheep.

oly

The current rules, AFAIK, are maximum 1 drink per day for women, maximum 2 drinks per day for men, maximum 14 drinks per week for women, maximum 21 drinks per week for men, and maximum 4 drinks per drinking session.

If you have a history of alcoholism in your family, you are not supposed to drink at all.

Red wine is best, followed by beer with a high hops content.

I used to drink red wine and beer, but now I abstain and use high CBD hemp oil instead.

I don't get that number for men, although I believe that that is not fake news aka double plus real news.

2 drinks a day for men.  Maximum of 21 drinks per week for men.

That would be a LONG 3 day weekend (4 drinks each day) which would give you 12.  Then the other 4 days you drink your 2 a day.  I get 20.  21 sounds a little high, IF the doctor's maximum recommended dosage of alcohol is 2 drinks a day.  Maybe this was based on an 8 day week....

da bear

It's been a hard liquor night, and I've been drinking like a dog...