{myadvertisements[zone_1]}
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 years ago the Battle of Passchendaele (Third Battle of Ypres) was beginning
The British offensive began on July 31, 1917, and continued for five months.  No military objectives were achieved, but in those Flanders fields at least 460,000 European men would die.

http://www.dw.com/en/battle-of-passchend...a-39894989
Guns don't kill people, the government does.
{myadvertisements[zone_3]}
Just got back from a European trip. We visited the Somme battlefield memorials. My great-grandfather died and is noted on the Thiepval memorial for those who died without a grave. My grandmother often spoke about him and how he died leading his men to safety. The whole area is a moving memorial to the great war. We never learn...

We also spent a couple of says in Bastogne, site of the 101st Airborne defence of the town during the battle of the bulge.

We rounded off our trip with a viewing of the movie Dunkirk. I'm all warred out now.
In modern times Haig and French would be arrested for war crimes.
Field Marshal Haig (later Earl Haig) was probably single-handedly responsible for Canada, Australia and New Zealand going their separate ways from the United Kingdom, or at a minimum, his ineptitude as a war leader greatly accelerated what was already in process.  

It is amazing, sometimes, that Canada so readily joined in the war against Germany in 1939 - the Canadians did mostly realize how badly the British fucked up in the conduct of the earlier war.

oly