OWNx.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm slowly dumping Faceballs
...I mean Facebook.  Seattle is effing nuts.  There was a protest regarding the election recently where a woman said she cried for 3 days because of the results (source: Seattle times).  Some women in Kirkland right next to Seattle said she was rapped in a post on FB and that the police wouldn't look at her case.  The police finally got a hold of her, she never submitted a report and admitted to lying about being raped because she was upset with the election.  I posted that and my sister posted underneath that 1,000's were rapped by this election.  Uggh. 

Angry

My FB feed has been in hysteria mode since the election.  I agree that there are things to be concerned about, but it's not even possible to have a fucking conversation about anything any more.  

I'm keeping my FB account for now for possibly advertising and keeping some connections, but I'm removed it from my phone and trying hard to stay away. 

This is not me blaming FB, I know that I have an impulse to reply to stupid shit I see and the stupid level has gone off the charts.   

I'm assuming my quality of life will now start to improve.  Must meditate.   Big Grin

[Image: In-the-Mouth-of-Madness.jpeg]
yea, recently (year or so??) I've been using FB most daily,

never dreamed I would

Much of it's a horrible place huh,

does it MAKE people bad or just show us how bad there were anyways??
Peak Facebook
I never used Facebook.

I don't want to be thought policed. I want to be able to say how I really feel about anything from having gone off Leonard Cohen years ago to being happy that Hillary Clinton didn't win the US election, without being treated like scum or threatened physically. Neither Leonard Cohen nor Hillary Clinton is so important that other people liking them means they feel ok to make death threats to me. If other people are putting their worship of these celebrities above my right to live then I don't want to speak to them about anything ever.

And yes StingingNettle, those wimmins Hillary tears after she lost the election were making me want to throw up.

A recent thing in the news is Kanye West saying he is glad Hillary didn't win the election, in a rant during one of his concerts, and it looks like that put him in personal danger. Maybe if you are black or a woman and you don't say what you are supposed to say about their idols, they just turn on you, whereas if you are a white man they just don't expect them to support their idols.

What is that saying about who you aren't allowed to criticise?
(11-22-2016, 09:35 AM)silverfish Wrote: I never used Facebook.

I don't want to be thought policed.  I want to be able to say how I really feel about anything from having gone off Leonard Cohen years ago to being happy that Hillary Clinton didn't win the US election, without being treated like scum or threatened physically.  Neither Leonard Cohen nor Hillary Clinton is so important that other people liking them means they feel ok to make death threats to me.  If other people are putting their worship of these celebrities above my right to live then I don't want to speak to them about anything ever.

And yes StingingNettle, those wimmins Hillary tears after she lost the election were making me want to throw up.

A recent thing in the news is Kanye West saying he is glad Hillary didn't win the election, in a rant during one of his concerts, and it looks like that put him in personal danger.  Maybe if you are black or a woman and you don't say what you are supposed to say about their idols, they just turn on you, whereas if you are a white man they just don't expect them to support their idols.

Kanye West had a "nervous breakdown" (which is what a non-specific mental illness outbreak was called in the old days) because he went off his meds.  He is now being observed and treated in the psychiatric ward of a hospital.
(11-22-2016, 02:26 AM)DaveGillie Wrote: yea, recently (year or so??) I've been using FB most daily,

never dreamed I would

Much of it's a horrible place huh,

does it MAKE people bad or just show us how bad there were anyways??

That is a great question. My best observation is that FB does both (make people bad, and show a side of themselves that were always there).

(11-22-2016, 03:36 AM)aqualech Wrote: Peak Facebook

I actually, wondered that myself.  My wife (who loves FB for all the friends pictures and such) says she knows a lot of people removing it from their phones.  Not deleting the accounts, but trying to reduce the need to check it.   

It's funny, because it really is habit forming.  I wonder if there are going to be anti-social media service announcements like with smoking down the road.  Smile

(11-22-2016, 09:35 AM)silverfish Wrote: I never used Facebook.

I don't want to be thought policed.  I want to be able to say how I really feel about anything from having gone off Leonard Cohen years ago to being happy that Hillary Clinton didn't win the US election, without being treated like scum or threatened physically.  Neither Leonard Cohen nor Hillary Clinton is so important that other people liking them means they feel ok to make death threats to me.  If other people are putting their worship of these celebrities above my right to live then I don't want to speak to them about anything ever.

A recent thing in the news is Kanye West saying he is glad Hillary didn't win the election, in a rant during one of his concerts, and it looks like that put him in personal danger.  Maybe if you are black or a woman and you don't say what you are supposed to say about their idols, they just turn on you, whereas if you are a white man they just don't expect them to support their idols.

Great observations.  Yeah, the crying / depression thing lasting for days is pretty unbelievable.  What happened to adults!?
I use Facebook.

I use it to irritate liberals :-)

I have had one person - a relative (gay lawyer) unfriend me but gained a whole lot more.

I have to tone it down a little because I have friends at work and I'm sure I'm running a fine line before I start to cause problems at work.

We have Gab as an alternative to Twitter (which is dying fast) so there must be a market for an alternative to FB. Here's your big change SN!
(11-23-2016, 04:29 AM)andrew_o Wrote: I use Facebook.

I use it to irritate liberals  :-)

I have had one person - a relative (gay lawyer) unfriend me but gained a whole lot more.

I have to tone it down a little because I have friends at work and I'm sure I'm running a fine line before I start to cause problems at work.

We have Gab as an alternative to Twitter (which is dying fast) so there must be a market for an alternative to FB. Here's your big change SN!

So brave of you deliberately irritating liberals. They argue by engulfing you in a slime of their politically correct sneers. And yes, make sure they don't have power over you because they will get their own back by saying horrible and inaccurate things about you in situations where you can't defend yourself. I am never sure about the legal situation with internet servers, whether Americans' right to freedom of speech is protected because they are Americans or because they are on an internet server that is located in America? If Americans write on a British or European website, is their freedom of speech protected, and if Europeans write on an American website, are they protected by American law? I ask because Angela Merkel was associating with Facebook to take down and prosecute anything "offensive". I think maybe the first thing you have to defend is some kind of anonymity.
(11-23-2016, 11:42 AM)silverfish Wrote:

I use it to irritate liberals  :-)

So brave of you deliberately irritating liberals.  They argue by engulfing you in a slime of their politically correct sneers.  And yes, make sure they don't have power over you because they will get their own back by saying horrible and inaccurate things about you in situations where you can't defend yourself.  I am never sure about the legal situation with internet servers, whether Americans' right to freedom of speech is protected because they are Americans or because they are on an internet server that is located in America?  If Americans write on a British or European website, is their freedom of speech protected, and if Europeans write on an American website, are they protected by American law?  I ask because Angela Merkel was associating with Facebook to take down and prosecute anything "offensive".  I think maybe the first thing you have to defend is some kind of anonymity.

VERY Good points Silver!!

While a pissed Conservative may ignore you, a pissed Liberal can HURT your life (and many, by their nature, are in Govt power).

and that jurisdiction angle has been getting played more and more, mainly by the US lately I see.

AND that point about "anonymity" is CRITICAL to our right to Free Speech,
which is why Liberals HATE it (for others).

I use it to irritate liberals :-)

lol.

Actually, I've been checking out Minds.com. Seems better though not as man people yet. Thanks everyone for looking into the issue!

https://www.minds.com/StingingNettle